The Department of Hebrew, Biblical and Jewish Studies is a diverse centre of research activities. We offer opportunities for research on Biblical Studies, Classical and Modern Hebrew, as well as Jewish Civilisation, Thought and Culture. These research focuses are supported by our experienced academics and outstanding resources and services. Members of the department maintain strong profiles with a wide range of research interests.
The department has research strengths in the following areas:
- Australian Jewish history
- The Holocaust
- Jewish culture and education in the Diaspora
- Language and text of the Hebrew Bible
- Northwest Semitic languages
- Ugaritic language and literature
- Narrative and law in Torah
- Modern Hebrew language and literature
- Holocaust Studies
For details, please see the profiles of individual academic staff.
Proposals are invited from potential Honours, MA (Research), MPhil, and PhD students, and visiting scholars for possible supervision and collaboration. See our Postgraduate Research page for more information.