Dr Shani Berrin
PhD (New York University), BA (Yeshiva University), MA (Yeshiva University)
Room 623, Level 6, Brennan MacCallum Building
I have been a lecturer in the department since February 2003. Originally from NY, I have also taught at New York University and Yeshiva University, and at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. The primary focus of my research is early biblical interpretation, especially the Dead Sea Scrolls and related literature. My professional awards have included a Fulbright Fellowship (1994) and a Yad HaNadiv Fellowship (2005), for study in Jerusalem.
- Bible and Biblical Exegesis;
- Dead Sea Scrolls;
- Book in progress: Textuality, Tendenz, and Tradition: Biblical References in Jubilees’ Heavenly Tablets.
- The Pesher Nahum Scroll from Qumran: An Exegetical Study of 4Q169. STDJ 53. Leiden: Brill, 2004.
- 2005, 'Anti-semitism, Assimilation, and Ancient Jewish Apologia: the Story of the Exodus in the Writings of Josephus Flavius', Journal of the Australian Association for Jewish Studies, 20-34.
- 2005, '"Pesher Nahum", "Psalms of Solomon" and "Pompey”', in Reworking the Bible: Apocryphal and Related Texts at Qumran. Proceedings of a Joint Symposium by the Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Associated Literature and the Hebrew University Institute for Advanced Studies Research Group on Qumran, 15–17 January, 2002. Edited by Esther G. Chazon, Devorah Dimant and Ruth A. Clements. STDJ 58. Leiden: Brill, pp. 65-84.
- 2005, 'Qumran Pesharim', in Biblical Interpretation at Qumran. Ed. Matthias Henze Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, pp. 110-133.
- 2004, 'Secondary Biblical Citations in Pesher Nahum', Dead Sea Discoveries 11, pp. 1-11.
- 2000, 'Lemma/Pesher Correspondence in Pesher Nahum', in The Dead Sea Scrolls Fifty Years After Their Discovery. Ed. James C. VanderKam, Peter Flint. Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society, pp. 341-350.
- Encyclopedia Entries
2000, 'Pesharim' and 'Pesher Nahum', in Oxford Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Ed. James C. VanderKam and Lawrence H. Schiffman. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 644-647, 653-654.
- Penteuch, BBCL1001;
- Prophets BBCL1002, BBCL2603;
- Ketuvim BBCL 2604.
- Post-Biblical Literature BBCL 2605, BBCL 2606.
- Classical Hebrew
- Biblical Text and Exegesis.
- In 2006, I presented papers at the Hebrew University's Orion Center for the Dead Sea Scrolls, and at a Megillot conference at the University of Haifa.
- I presented papers at the annual SBL meetings in San Antonio, Texas (2004) and Philadelphia (2005).