History Department Response to Student Feedback
HSTY2006 - China in its World (2005)
Unit Coordinator: Dr John Wong
The course dealt with modern Chinese history from the Opium Wars to Deng Xiaoping. Student comments have been overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic:
- One of the best lecturers I've had.
- I really enjoyed this course
- Dr Wong is an excellent teacher.
- a wonderful teacher.
- It taught me valuable skills which I can apply in all of my subjects
- incredibly valuable
- Dr Wong was very responsive
- lectures were interesting, informative, challenging. Feedback excellent very approachable.
- Very very very high expectations.
- excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it
- Wong gave a lot of feedback and was constantly sensitive to the needs of
- Dr Wong certainly sets a high standard, but manages to encourage students to reach it.
- lectures well structured and easy to follow.
- a very comfortable, genial environment
- the lectures were thorough
- This unit was of extreme interest to me.
- This unit will be one I recommend to other students. I will also recommend any other subject which is taught by Dr Wong. He really is an exceptional lecturer who has changed my university experience.
- Lecturer used many different methods to stimulate students.
- superb lecturer.
- very enthusiastic and taught Chinese history in a very interesting and different way.
- Enjoyed it. Very interesting course
- unique and very helpful
- One of the most fruitful and interesting courses I have done at Sydney Uni. I have nothing but praise for Dr Wong and his ability to teach.
- Very effective lectures and tuts
- Clear, concise, precise and relevant teaching. Would do it again and listen more.
- very democratic
- Lectures were very interesting. Wong is a brilliant lecturer
- content was extremely interesting and Dr Wong is extremely knowledgeable
- Excellent teaching, interesting material, a lot of fun
- Dr Wong was clear and concise
- info was represented extremely well
- Great unit of study
- Dr Wong was an excellent lecturer and tutor thoroughly enjoyable semester
- Dr Wong is an extremely dedicated lecturer. He is knowledgeable, helpful and a good tutor
- Very happy with the course
- Dr Wong is a wonderful teacher. He appears passionate, up to date and enthusiastic. Would recommend to others
- dedicated to teaching and puts in a lot of effort
- feedback was given succinctly and effectively.
- The subject was interesting, informative. Dr Wong is an excellent lecturer.
So the laurels go on.
There was a complaint: "It was a poor return on the money I paid to do it"!? I suppose that student was measuring the amount of information received against the amount of fees paid. But then, my focus on teaching has always been one of stimulating students to think rather than handing them everything on a plate.
There was also a suggestion: "I really enjoyed this unit. Dr Wong is a very good lecturer. Perhaps less theory and more factual material". I generally do not overwhelm students with information, but give them just enough to stimulate discussion.
Overall satisfaction rate: 90%. The real percentage would have been at least 95% if students who had written enthusiastic comments also remembered to do the rating (i.e. blackening the small circles for Strongly Agree or Agree). These enthusiastic comments include:
- One of the most fruitful and interesting courses I have done at Sydney
Uni. I have nothing but praise for Dr Wong and his ability to teach
- Careful consideration of where we could improve
- overall very happy with the course.