Response to Student Feedback
HSTY2640 Twentieth Century China (2009)
Unit Coordinator: Professor John Wong
As in my previous units of study, students of ‘HSTY2640 Twentieth Century China’ in Semester 2 of 2009 responded enthusiastically to the teaching and rose heroically to the challenge. The overall satisfaction score was 96%
I transcribe hereunder the first eight of the ninety-three responses to USE Question 12 ‘Explain the reasons for your rating’ which I have just read:
- This was a great course and so well done by Professor Wong. He is a terrific educator and always puts his students’ welfare first. I loved it all and thank Professor Wong and Usyd for this great course. China is so important today and Professor Wong goes to China so often to keep up to date with happenings there. Thank you again.
- Professor Wong was a fantastic coordinator who ran both the lectures and tutorial at a fast pace and with a great amount of knowledge. A man of a huge passion to teach and better all his students, I am going away from this unit happy and satisfied and will take another unit directed by Wong!
- I found this course fascinating overall. Professor Wong was not only extremely enthusiastic, but capable of enriching my learning experience. Moreover, the content was always interesting and comprehensively explored. Thank you, Professor Wong for a terrific semester.
- One of my favourite subjects – thanks to Professor Wong’s teaching skills and obvious care for his students.
- Great lecturing, very clear, charismatic!
- Very interesting subject matter and taught in a very engaging way which stimulated personal inquiry and dialogue. Also the way Professor Wong conducts himself makes him a very easy teacher to respect and encourage hard work.
- Professor Wong explained to us about his way of teaching/marking, and the reasons behind what he did. He was fully aware of students’ opinions about how he taught, and was willing to adjust course policies accordingly. He established a good structure for each tutorial, and allowed students to actively participate in discussions about the course content. He had us comment on each others’ tutorial presentations which gave us the chance to think more about what we have learned.
- A great subject, well taught and I especially enjoyed the tutorials!!!