Italian Studies Program Overview
The Italian Studies Program offers a major that can be included in many degrees offered at the University of Sydney. For in-depth information on the Italian Studies subject area, a description of the major and its requirements, and a table and descriptions of the units of study available in this area, go to the
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate Handbook - Italian Studies
For previous year enrolments: Handbook archive.
Unit of Study prerequisites are also reviewed from time to time. The prerequisites listed for units in your year of enrolment are valid for the duration of your candidature.
The department encourages students to spend a period of exchange at an overseas university. The University’s International Exchange Program enables you to undertake approved overseas study, with the credit achieved counting towards your degree at the University of Sydney. Comprehensive information is available at the Student Exchange Office Website.
You can study at one of the many partner universities across the world with which the University has signed a formal exchange agreement. Exchange institutions particularly relevant to students studying Italian are:
- Università di Bologna
- Università di Firenze
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan
- Università di Napoli "L’Orientale"
- Università di Pavia
- Università di Roma "La Sapienza"
- Università di Torino
- Università di Udine
- Università Ca’ Foscari Venezia
For more information on opportunities contact the department's Student Exchange Coordinator.
Academic policies and procedures
The Department follows the policies and procedures set out by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences – for information, follow these links to the requisite Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences pages:
Policies webpage for information on:
- Plagiarism - Satisfactory progress - Late Work - Attendance
Student Administration Manual contains procedures, and the necessary forms, for amongst others:
- Applying for credit
- Applying for a DNF after the semester deadline
- Applying for Honours
- Applying for a suspension for one or two semesters
- Appealing against a result
Special Consideration webpage for information on:
- Special Consideration - for serious illness or misadventure
- Special Arrangements - for essential community commitments
- Extensions on assessments - for minor illness or misadventure