Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Which universities can I go to?

Please visit the International Office for details of overseas universities you can go to as part of the University's exchange partner program.

If an exchange partnership does not exist with the country of your language major, contact the relevant department for other options.

How is credit for overseas study decided?

Contact the International Office to gather information about:

  • the units of study that you intend to take overseas
  • the number of contact hours per week
  • mode of assessment and
  • whether it is a senior or junior unit of study

You may also wish to speak with students who have returned from their overseas study for more information.

If your subjects change whilst you are overseas, it is vital that you let the University of Sydney know. You can contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences or the department concerned.

What happens to my enrolment at Sydney?

If you take up an exchange place at an overseas university:

  • you will remain enrolled at the University of Sydney.
  • you will not pay tuition fees at the host University.
  • you will need to enrol in the relevant generic exchange units of study at the University of Sydney (e.g. FRNC2803 French Exchange), and these will appear on your transcript.
  • you will receive an R grade if you have satisfied requirements for the units of study undertaken at the host university. These units will count towards your major.

What happens if I'm going to a university that's not on the partner list?

If you are going to a university that is not on the partner list, the following options are available:

  • you can remain enrolled at the University of Sydney, or
  • you can suspend your enrolment for the duration of your stay overseas by writing to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences before you leave

In both instances you will pay tuition fees at the host university. For more advice on the best option for you, contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

If you suspend your enrolment at Sydney:

  • you still need to seek departmental approval for your proposed course of study

    you will also need to apply to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences for credit for these units of study on your return
  • you will need to be back in time to attend re-enrolment with the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, prior to the beginning of the semester (if you are not able to attend, you can delegate someone to be your proxy and enrol on your behalf)

Is overseas study expensive?

You will need to consider these costs when studying overseas:

Prior to your departure:

  • airfare
  • insurance
  • visa and medical costs associated with visiting your chosen destination

While you are overseas:

  • accommodation
  • textbooks
  • food and general living expenses

Remember that expenses will vary depending on the exchange rate, local cost of living and whether your chosen institution is located in a big city or small town.

The International Office estimates that it costs at least $12,000 per semester to study overseas, and will provide $5,000 towards the cost of your overseas study.

What do I do if I am receiving Youth Allowance?

If you are eligible for Youth Allowance in Australia you will need to:

  • Contact the Welfare Staff in the SRC (Students' Representative Council) on +61 2 9660 5222 to find out if you are still eligible for Youth Allowance while overseas,
  • Inform Centrelink that you are going to study overseas well before you leave.

What if I change my exchange plans - or do not go at all?

If you change your plans in any way, you must contact the:

  • International Office, and the
  • .

It is a compulsory requirement for students enrolled in the BA (Languages) degree to go on exchange. If you do not go, or come back early, you may need to vary your enrolment. If you have already been paid the $5000 scholarship, and you decide not to go, you must repay the scholarship as soon as possible, as well as withdraw from the BA (Languages) degree.