Dr Ahmar Mahboob
BA Karachi MA Karachi MA Indiana PhD Indiana MEd Syd
+61 2 9351 3548
Room 245, Transient Building F12
Applied Linguistics Program Advisor.
Dr Ahmar Mahboob earned his PhD at Indiana University, Bloomington, in 2003. The title of his dissertation was: Status of nonnative English speakers as ESL teachers in the United States. Ahmar has worked in the areas of language policy development, pidgin and creole languages, NNEST studies, English language acquisition, English language teaching and teacher education, World Englishes, pragmatics, and issues surrounding minority languages in South Asia. Ahmar is the Past President of Indiana TESOL (www.intesol.org) and the current Chair of the NNEST Caucus (http://nnest.moussu.net) in TESOL International.
Ahmar joined the Department of Linguistics in 2004. Ahmar has published on a range of topics including: language teaching, teacher education, language policy, educational linguistics, and World Englishes. Ahmar is the co-editor of Questioning Linguistics with Naomi Knight (2008), Studies in Applied Linguistics and Language Learning with Caroline Lipovsky (2009), Appliable Linguistics: Texts, Contexts and Meanings with Naomi Knight (2010), and The NNEST Lens: Nonnative English Speakers in TESOL (2010). Ahmar is the Associate Editor of the journal Linguistics and the Human Sciences.
Fellowships, grants and awards
Research grants and fellowships
- 2011 Language and Identity Research Network, University of Sydney (with colleagues: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/research/language_and_identity/language_and_identity.shtml)
- 2010 WUN Research Development Fund: Skilled Migration and Global English. UK£ 12,104. (with Suersh Canagarajah, Susan Roberston, Richard Kiely, Adrian Bailey, Kris Olds, and Margaret Hawkins)
- 2009 Visiting Research Fellow, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. July 2009 – July 2010.
- 2008 City University of Hong Kong: Mapping Learner Pathways to Improved English Language Writing Performance (Research grant with Prof Jim Martin).
- 2008 City University of Hong Kong: UG Writing Support Consultancy Grant.
- 2004 University of Sydney R&D Grant.
- 2004 ECU Research and Creativity Award.
- 2003 TESOL International Research Forum (TIRF) Priority Research Grant.
Teaching and other grants and fellowships
- 2010 University of Sydney Small TIES Grant. (with Sally Humphrey and Shoshana Dreyfus)
- 2009 University of Sydney Small TIES Grant. (with Bronwen Dyson, Betsi Been, Megan Le Masurier, and Louise Katz).
- 2006 Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Teaching Award. University of Sydney, Australia.
- 2005 Fellow of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU).
- 2005 University of Sydney Teaching Initiative Award.
- 2002 ‘Distinguished President Award’ INTESOL, Indianapolis, November 16, 2002.
- 2001 The International Association for World Englishes, the Ohana Foundation, and the East-West Center, Hawaii, invited to represent Pakistan at the English Language Education (ELE) Roundtable on “Increasing Creativity and Innovation in English Language Teaching and Learning” November 7-16.
Publications 2005 - 2011
Monographs and edited books
- Mahboob, A. & Knight, N. 2010. Mahboob, A. & Knight, N. 2010. Appliable Linguistics: Texts, contexts, and meanings. London: Continuum.
- Mahboob, A (ed.) 2010, The NNEST Lens. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Mahboob, A, Lipovsky, C (eds.) 2009, Studies in Applied Linguistics and Language Learning. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Mahboob, A, Knight, N (eds.) 2008, Questioning Linguistics. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Mahboob, A. & Yilmaz, D. 2011. Providing Effective Feedback in an online Environment. SPELT Quarterly, Vol 26.2.
- Mahboob, A. & Knight, N. 2010. Guest editors of the special issue featuring papers presented at the Free Linguistics Conference 2009. Linguistics and the Human Sciences, Vol 4.1.
- Mahboob, A. 2010. World Englishes and higher education. Kritika Kultura, Vol 15.
- Mahboob, A. & Szenes, E. 2010. Linguicism and racism in assessment practices in higher education. Linguistics and the Human Sciences, Vol 3.3.
- Lipovsky, C & Mahboob, A 2010, Students’s appraisal of their native and non-native English speaking teachers, The WATESOL NNEST Caucus Annual Review, 1(2010), 119–154
- Mahboob, A, Szenes, E 2010, Linguicism and racism in assessment practices in higher education, Linguistics and the Human Sciences, 3(3), 325-354
- Mahboob, A 2009, Racism and TESOL, SPELT Journal, 24(1), 2-8
- Mahboob, A 2009, English as an Islamic language: A case study of Pakistani English, World Englishes: journal of English as an international and intranational language, 28(2), 175-189
- Mahboob, A 2009, Elite discourses of racism in TESOL, SPELT Journal, 24(1)
- Mahboob, A 2008, Power, resistance, and Pakistani English, SPELT Journal, 23.2(2), 2-9
- Mahboob, A 2007, Toward a familiarity-based approach to language proficiency, JALT OnCUE, 15(1), 17-20
- Mahboob, A. 2011. Middle Eastern Englishes: A focus on Saudi Arabia. In R. Akbari and C. Coombe (Eds). Middle East Handbook of Applied Linguistics. Dubai: TESOL Arabia Publications.
- Mahboob, A. Humphrey, S., Webster, J., Wong, E., Wong, C., & Chan, A. 2010. Genre pedagogy meets e-learning: An introduction to the Language Companion Course. In L. Lan and D. Qian (Eds). English Language Education in Asian Universities: Classroom practices and research issues. Hong Kong: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Press.
- Mahboob, A, Dreyfus, S, Humphrey, S L, Martin, J R 2010, Appliable linguistics and English language teaching: the Scaffolding Literacy in Adult and Tertiary Environments (SLATE) project, Appliable Linguistics, Continuum, London, 1, 25-43
- Mahboob, A, Knight, N 2010, Appliable linguistics: an introduction, Appliable Linguistics, Continuum, London, 1, 1-12
- Lipovsky, C, Mahboob, A 2010, Appraisal of native and non-native English speaking teachers, The NNEST Lens: Non Native English Speakers in TESOL, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 1, 154-179
- Mahboob, A, Szenes, E 2010, Construing meaning in world Englishes, Routledge Handbook of World Englishes, Routledge, Oxford, 580-598
- Humphrey, S L, Martin, J R, Dreyfus, S, Mahboob, A 2010, The 3x3: setting up a linguistic toolkit for teaching academic writing, Appliable Linguistics, Continuum, London, 1, 185-199
- Mahboob, A 2010, The NNEST lens, [[i||The NNEST Lens: Non Native English Speakers in TESOL], Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 1, 1-17
- Nemtchinova, E, Mahboob, A, Eslami, Z, Dogancay-Aktuna, S 2010, Training non-native english speaking TESOL professionals, The NNEST Lens: Non Native English Speakers in TESOL, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 1, 222-238
- Mahboob, A 2009, Additive perspective on religion or growing hearts with wisdom, Christian and Critical English Language Educators in Dialogue: Pedagogical and Ethical Dilemmas, Routledge, New York, 1, 272-280
- Lipovsky, C, Mahboob, A 2009, Identities, policies and practices in applied linguistics, Studies in Applied Linguistics and Language Learning, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK, 1-12
- Mahboob, A 2009, Racism in the English Language Teaching Industry, Studies in Applied Linguistics and Language Learning, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK, 1, 29-40
- Mahboob, A, Talaat, M 2008, English language teachers and teacher education in Pakistan, Global English Teaching and Teacher Education: Praxis & Possibility, TESOL, Alexandria, USA, 3-25
- Mahboob, A, Bhatt, R 2008, Minority languages and their status, Language in South Asia, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1, 132-152
- Lipovsky, C, Mahboob, A 2008, The semantics of graduation: examining ESL learners' use of graduation over time, Questioning Linguistics, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1, 225-241
- Lipovsky, C, Mahboob, A 2007, Examining Attitudes Towards Nests and Nnests: A Comparison of a Thematic vs. an Appraisal Analysis, Language and Languages: Global and Local Tensions, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, UK, 1, 292-306
- Mahboob, A 2006, Confessions of an 'Enraced' TESOL Professional, Color, Race, and English Language Teaching: Shades of Meaning, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, Mahwah, New Jersey and London, 1, 173-188
- Mahboob, A 2005, Beyond the native speaker in TESOL, Culture, Context, & Communication, Center of Excellence for Applied Research and Training & The Military Language Institute, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Other publications, translations, interviews
- Interview by Touria Prayag (February 25, 2011). l'Express Weekly, Mauritius.
- Mahboob, A. (2011, June 10). On the politics of language: The Creole debate in context. l'Express Weekly, p. 35.
- Mahboob, A. (2011, June 17). On the politics of language: From home to school. l'Express Weekly, p. 35.
- Mahboob, A. (2011, June 24). On the politics of language: Questioning linguistic hegemony. l'Express Weekly, p. 38.
- Mahboob, A. (2007). Neoliberalism and Madrassas: An Unholy Connection, Chowk: Ideas, identities, and interactions (October 26, 2007 ed.). www.chowk.com: Chowk.
- Mahboob, A. (2007, July 1). The White Elephant: An interview with Ahmar Mahboob. The Daily Dawn.
- Mahboob, A. (2007). The Native Model Fallacy in SLA: What can we do about it? NNEST Newsletter, 9(1).
- Mahboob, A. (2006). Towards a familiarity-based approach to language proficiency. NNEST Newsletter, 8(1).
- Mahboob, A. (2005). On ‘double standards’ in graduate program and ‘agism’ in scholarship/hiring policies. NNST Newsletter, 7(1).
Published audio-visual material
- Kamhi-Stein, L., and Mahboob, A. (June, 2006). Teachers' Language Proficiency in English Language Teaching. Washington D.C.: TESOL Inc., from http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/sec_document.asp?CID=1426&DID=6144
- Mahboob, A. (March, 2006). World Englishes and TESOL, Washington D.C.: TESOL Inc., from http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/genform.asp?CID=761&DID=5995
- Griffin, R., and Mahboob, A. (March, 2006). Learner Perspectives of Native and Nonnative Teachers, Washington D.C.: TESOL Inc., from http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/genform.asp?CID=761&DID=5995