Units of Study
MGRK2601 - Senior Modern Greek 1
Semester 1, 2011 | Credit Points: 6
Coordinator: Panayota Nazou
Phone: +61 2 9351 7104
The core of this unit is practical language segments aimed particularly at developing skills of listening, speaking and writing. It also provides introductory lectures on the history and culture of speakers of Greek in the post-classical world. Political and social developments described in lectures will be linked to the reading of texts; some in Greek, illustrating how Greek culture and literature have reacted to historical change and ideological repositioning.
2xtests (equivalent to 800wd total) (20%), 3xquizzes equivalent to 400wd total) (10%), 5xcompositions (equivalent to 1200wd total) (30%), 2xoral presentations (equivalent to 400wd total) (10%), 1xoral test (equivalent to 400wd) (10%), 1x1hr exam (equivalent to 1000wd) (20%)
Supplied through the department.
2x1-hr language tutorials/week, 2x1-hr practicals/week commencing week 2
MGRK1102 or MGRK1602
A timetable is not available for this session.
Please refer to the list of Units of Study on the left-hand menu to view the units on offer for the relevant academic year.
The information displayed above is indicative only as online information is subject to change without notice. The Faculty Handbook and the University of Sydney Calendar are the official legal source of information relating to study at the University of Sydney
In addition to the core language studies units, the undergraduate program includes other units of study that deal with cultural and literary themes and translation. The following is a list of units that are currently offered on rotation each year.
- MGRK2603 Style and Expression
- MGRK2604 Comparison of Greek and English
- MGRK2605 Theory and Practice of Translation B
- MGRK2606 Varieties and Registers
- MGRK2609 Theory and Practice of Translation A
- MGRK2621 Greek Modernism
- MGRK2622 The Other Road to Greek Modernity
- MGRK2631 Cultural Identities
- MGRK2633 Social Norms/Stereotypes in Greek Cinema
- MGRK2652 Politics and Politicians in Greece
- MGRK2653 Sex, Drugs and Music in Modern Greece
- MGRK2655 Modern Greek Art
- MGRK2657 Greece and the European Imaginary
- MGRK2675 New Testament Greek and its World A
- MGRK2676 New Testament Greek and its World B
- MGRK2682 Sports and Contemporary Culture
- MGRK2691 Sociolinguistics in the Greek Diaspora
- MGRK3692 Theories of Literature