Units of Study
MGRK2605 - Theory and Practice of Translation B
Semester 1, 2011 | Credit Points: 6
Coordinator: Panayota Nazou
This unit focuses on translation from English to Greek. Its main focus is the study of translating strategies of specialised texts and explains changes in their structure. Students are expected to learn how translation works as a semantic transition from one language to the other and be able to understand the necessary changes they must introduce during the translation process in order to make the text semantically functional in Greek.
2xassignments (1000wd total) (20%), 2xclass tests (equivalent to 2000wd total) (50%), 1x1500wd essay (30%)
1x1-hr lecture/week, 2x1-hr tutorials/week commencing week 2
MGRK1202 or MGRK1402 or MGRK1622 or MGRK2002 or MGRK2602
A timetable is not available for this session.
Please refer to the list of Units of Study on the left-hand menu to view the units on offer for the relevant academic year.
The information displayed above is indicative only as online information is subject to change without notice. The Faculty Handbook and the University of Sydney Calendar are the official legal source of information relating to study at the University of Sydney
In addition to the core language studies units, the undergraduate program includes other units of study that deal with cultural and literary themes and translation. The following is a list of units that are currently offered on rotation each year.
- MGRK2603 Style and Expression
- MGRK2604 Comparison of Greek and English
- MGRK2605 Theory and Practice of Translation B
- MGRK2606 Varieties and Registers
- MGRK2609 Theory and Practice of Translation A
- MGRK2621 Greek Modernism
- MGRK2622 The Other Road to Greek Modernity
- MGRK2631 Cultural Identities
- MGRK2633 Social Norms/Stereotypes in Greek Cinema
- MGRK2652 Politics and Politicians in Greece
- MGRK2653 Sex, Drugs and Music in Modern Greece
- MGRK2655 Modern Greek Art
- MGRK2657 Greece and the European Imaginary
- MGRK2675 New Testament Greek and its World A
- MGRK2676 New Testament Greek and its World B
- MGRK2682 Sports and Contemporary Culture
- MGRK2691 Sociolinguistics in the Greek Diaspora
- MGRK3692 Theories of Literature