Units of Study
MGRK4011 - Modern Greek Honours A
Semester 2, 2012 | Credit Points: 12
Coordinator: Vrasidas Karalis
Phone: +61 2 9351 7252
The Honours program in Modern Greek Studies consists of:
1. a thesis written under the supervision of one or more members of academic staff
2. two seminars that meet weekly for two hours for one semester.
The thesis should be of 18000-20000 words. Each seminar requires 6000 words of written work or its equivalent.
The thesis is worth 60% of the final Honours mark and each of the seminars is worth 20%.
The following seminars are on offer in 2012:
Greek Cinema (Assoc Prof Karalis) Semester 1
From Homer to Ritsos (Dr Anthony Dracopoulos) Semester 2
For more information, contact Assoc Prof Vrasidas Karalis, Honours coordinator.
A thesis of 18000-20000 words and 6000 words of written work or its equivalent for each seminar.
2x2-hr seminars/week, one in Semester 1 and one in Semester 2
48 senior credit points from Modern Greek Studies with a credit average or better, including completion of the major.
A timetable is not available for this session.
Please refer to the list of Units of Study on the left-hand menu to view the units on offer for the relevant academic year.
The information displayed above is indicative only as online information is subject to change without notice. The Faculty Handbook and the University of Sydney Calendar are the official legal source of information relating to study at the University of Sydney
In addition to the core language studies units, the undergraduate program includes other units of study that deal with cultural and literary themes and translation. The following is a list of units that are currently offered on rotation each year.
- MGRK2603 Style and Expression
- MGRK2604 Comparison of Greek and English
- MGRK2605 Theory and Practice of Translation B
- MGRK2606 Varieties and Registers
- MGRK2609 Theory and Practice of Translation A
- MGRK2621 Greek Modernism
- MGRK2622 The Other Road to Greek Modernity
- MGRK2631 Cultural Identities
- MGRK2633 Social Norms/Stereotypes in Greek Cinema
- MGRK2652 Politics and Politicians in Greece
- MGRK2653 Sex, Drugs and Music in Modern Greece
- MGRK2655 Modern Greek Art
- MGRK2657 Greece and the European Imaginary
- MGRK2675 New Testament Greek and its World A
- MGRK2676 New Testament Greek and its World B
- MGRK2682 Sports and Contemporary Culture
- MGRK2691 Sociolinguistics in the Greek Diaspora
- MGRK3692 Theories of Literature