Room 122 Mackie Building K01
phone: +61 2 9351 3453
fax: +61 2 9660 0862
Graduate Certificate (SIT, Vermont), B. Ed. (TU, Nepal), M. Ed. (TU, Nepal), M. Sc. (AIT, Thailand)
Punam Yadav is a PhD candidate and a Postgraduate Teaching Fellow at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies. Punam comes from a Development background. She has over a decade long experience working with different development agencies such as CARE International, Helvetas-Swiss Association for International Cooperation. Her PhD research is on “Approaching Social Transformation in Post Conflict Nepal: A Gender Perspective”. She co-coordinates two Postgraduate units: Human Rights, Peace and Justice; and Gender and the Development of Peace, at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies. She has also co-coordinated an undergraduate unit Race, Racism and Indigenous Australia at Koori Centre. She has delivered several guest lectures for Masters of Human Rights and Masters of Peace and Conflict Studies programmes.
- Impacts of Conflict on women including sexual violence
- Gender and Peacebuilding
- Gender and Transitional Justice
- Gender and Post Conflict Reconstruction
- Gender and Conflict-induced Internal Displacement
- Women's Reproductive Health and Rights
Awards and Grants
- Faculty of Arts Postgraduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Sydney (February 2012 - December 2013)
- Australian Leadership Award (ALA) (18 January 2010 – 30 April 2014)
- MARPET Scholarship, SIT, Vermont, USA (June 2009 – May 2010)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (May 9 -15, 2007)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (August 2005 - May 2007)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (July 7 – 24, 1997)
- Yadav, Punam (2010). “Women in Peace Politics”, Paula Banerjee (Ed.), Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 14 (1): 103 - 110
- Yadav, Punam (2008). “Sex Selective Abortion in India”, Tulsi Patel (Ed.), Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 12 (1) 2008.
- Yadav, Punam (2007). “Trafficking in Persons in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region (GMS) Focusing on the Rules of Shelter for Women and Children”, Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 11 (3).
- Yadav, Punam (2006). “The 7th International Conference on Gender and Human Rights in Southeast Asia”, Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 10 (3): 395-98.
Academic Conferences and Workshops
- Yadav, Punam 2013. "White Sari: Transforming Widowhood in Nepal", paper presented at POWS Annual Conference, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor, 10-12 July 2013.
- Yadav, Punam 2011. “Inclusion of women in politics: Opportunity or Exposure to violence?”. Paper presented at Gendered Violence conference, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK, 23rd - 25th November.
- Yadav, Punam 2011. “What does Transitional Justice mean to Conflict-induced IDP women and Families of Disappeared People in Post Conflict Nepal?” Paper read at Transitional Justice Workshop, University of Sydney, 25th February.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Armed Conflict and Social Transformation: A Gender Perspective”. Paper read at Women’s Memory Work: Gendered Dilemmas of Social Transformation Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland, 24 - 26 August.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Masculinization of Warfare and Feminization of Peace”. Co authored paper was read at Psychology of Women Conference, UK, 14-16 July.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Changing Gender Roles and Relations among IDP population”. Paper read at International Peace Research Association (IPRA) Conference, University of Sydney, Australia, 6 -10 July.
- Yadav, Punam 2007. “Sexual and Reproductive Rights of Youth in Nepal”. Powerpoint presentation at National Youth Conference on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights, Kathmandu, Nepal, 21 December.
- Yadav, Punam 2007. “Gender Dimension of Conflict-affected Internal Displacement in Nepal. Paper read at 4th Asia pacific Conference on Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights, Hyderabad, India 29-31October.
Non Refereed Publications
- Do Women Benefit from War?]] issue 2013/1, May 2011, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- No more suffering in silence: in solidarity with VAW movement in Nepal and India 5 January 2013
- Peace-building? Are you Kidding!!!
Part 1 13 August 2012
Part 2 14 August 2012
- Widow Marriage - Celebration or Interrogation? 30 July 2012
- Yadav, Punam (2012). Body Politics, PeaceWrites, issue 2012/1, May 2012, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- Yadav, Punam (2011). “Whose Agenda”, PeaceWrites, issue 2011/2, October 2011, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- Yadav, P. K. (2007). Gender Dimension of Conflict-Induced Internal Displacement in Nepal, unpublished Master’s thesis, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
- Yadav, P. K. (2001). A Study on Effectiveness of the Primary School Teachers of Siraha District, unpublished Master’s thesis, Central Department of Education, T.U., Kathmandu, Nepal.