Dr Punam Yadav
Room 122 Mackie Building K01
phone: +61 2 9351 3453
fax: +61 2 9660 0862
Graduate Certificate (SIT, Vermont), B. Ed. (TU, Nepal), M. Ed. (TU, Nepal), M. Sc. (AIT, Thailand)
Punam Yadav just submitted her PhD thesis. Punam is currently working as a part-time lecturer at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney. She completed her two-year Postgraduate Teaching fellowship at the University of Sydney in December 2013. Punam comes from Development background. She has over a decade long experience working with different development agencies including, CARE International, Helvetas-Swiss Association for International Cooperation, Centre for Research on Environment, Health and Population Activities. Her PhD research is on “Social Transformation in Post Conflict Nepal: A Gender Perspective”. She Coordinated two Postgraduate units: Human Rights, Peace and Justice; and Gender and the Development of Peace, at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies which she was a Postgraduate Teaching Fellow. She also co-coordinated an undergraduate unit called "Race, Racism and Indigenous Australia". She has delivered several guest lectures for Masters of Human Rights and Masters of Peace and Conflict Studies Programmes.
- Gender and Social Inclusion
- Gender Analysis, Gender Planning and Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender and Development
- Gender and Social Transformation
- Gender, Peace and Security
- Impacts of Conflict on Women including, sexual violence
- Gender and Peacebuilding
- Gender and Transitional Justice
- Gender and Post-conflict Reconstruction
- Gender and Conflict-induced Internal Displacement
- Women's Reproductive Health and Rights
- Abortion Rights
Awards and Grants
- Faculty of Arts Postgraduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Sydney (February 2012 - December 2013)
- Australian Leadership Award (ALA) (18 January 2010 – 30 April 2014)
- MARPET Scholarship, SIT, Vermont, USA (June 2009 – May 2010)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (May 9 -15, 2007)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (August 2005 - May 2007)
- Government of Japan Scholarship (July 7 – 24, 1997)
- Yadav, Punam (2010). “Women in Peace Politics”, Paula Banerjee (Ed.), Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 14 (1): 103 - 110
- Yadav, Punam (2008). “Sex Selective Abortion in India”, Tulsi Patel (Ed.), Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 12 (1) 2008.
- Yadav, Punam (2007). “Trafficking in Persons in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region (GMS) Focusing on the Rules of Shelter for Women and Children”, Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 11 (3).
- Yadav, Punam (2006). “The 7th International Conference on Gender and Human Rights in Southeast Asia”, Gender Technology and Development, Sage Publication, 10 (3): 395-98.
Academic Conferences and Workshops
- Yadav. Punam 2015, “Women Tempo Drivers in Nepal: shifting the discourse of womanhood in post conflict Nepal", International Studies Association (ISA)]] 56th Annual Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 18-21, 2015.
Yadav, Punam 2014, “Social Transformation in Post Conflict Nepal: A gender perspective”, paper read at International Studies Association (ISA) 55th Annual Convention, Toronto, 26 - 29 March 2014.
- Yadav, Punam 2013. "White Sari: Transforming Widowhood in Nepal", paper presented at POWS Annual Conference, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor, 10-12 July 2013.
- Yadav, Punam 2011. “Inclusion of women in politics: Opportunity or Exposure to violence?”. Paper presented at Gendered Violence conference, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK, 23rd - 25th November.
- Yadav, Punam 2011. “What does Transitional Justice mean to Conflict-induced IDP women and Families of Disappeared People in Post Conflict Nepal?” Paper read at Transitional Justice Workshop, University of Sydney, 25th February.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Armed Conflict and Social Transformation: A Gender Perspective”. Paper read at Women’s Memory Work: Gendered Dilemmas of Social Transformation Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland, 24 - 26 August.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Masculinization of Warfare and Feminization of Peace”. Co authored paper was read at Psychology of Women Conference, UK, 14-16 July.
- Yadav, Punam 2010. “Changing Gender Roles and Relations among IDP population”. Paper read at International Peace Research Association (IPRA) Conference, University of Sydney, Australia, 6 -10 July.
- Yadav, Punam 2007. “Sexual and Reproductive Rights of Youth in Nepal”. Powerpoint presentation at National Youth Conference on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights, Kathmandu, Nepal, 21 December.
- Yadav, Punam 2007. “Gender Dimension of Conflict-affected Internal Displacement in Nepal. Paper read at 4th Asia pacific Conference on Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights, Hyderabad, India 29-31October.
Non Refereed Publications
- Do Women Benefit from War?]] issue 2013/1, May 2011, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- No more suffering in silence: in solidarity with VAW movement in Nepal and India 5 January 2013
- Peace-building? Are you Kidding!!!
Part 1 13 August 2012
Part 2 14 August 2012
- Widow Marriage - Celebration or Interrogation? 30 July 2012
- Yadav, Punam (2012). Body Politics, PeaceWrites, issue 2012/1, May 2012, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- Yadav, Punam (2011). “Whose Agenda”, PeaceWrites, issue 2011/2, October 2011, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney
- Yadav, P. K. (2007). Gender Dimension of Conflict-Induced Internal Displacement in Nepal, unpublished Master’s thesis, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
- Yadav, P. K. (2001). A Study on Effectiveness of the Primary School Teachers of Siraha District, unpublished Master’s thesis, Central Department of Education, T.U., Kathmandu, Nepal.