Dr J Lowell Lewis
BA Columbia University; BA University of Washington; PhD University of Washington (Seattle)
Retired Senior Lecturer, Anthropology and Performance Studies
Phone: 0011-1-360-733-5745 (USA)
- Performance theory
- Ritual and play theory
- Movement and sound patterns
- Brazil, Latin America, Aboriginal Australia
- Synthesis of Performance and Cultural Theory
- Explorations of Intercorporeality and Implacement
- The Anthropology of Cultural Performance, Palgrave Mcmillan, 2013.
- Ring of Liberation: Deceptive Discourse in Brazilian Capoeira, University of Chicago Press, 1992.
Selected publications - Book chapters
- "Toward a Unified Theory of Cultural Performance: A "Reconstructive Introduction" to the work of Victor Turner" in Victor Turner and Cultural Performance, Berghahn, 2008.
- "Afterword: Theoretical Reflections" in Contested Ground: Performance and the Politics of Place, Peter Lang, 2006.
Selected publications - Articles
- "Sex and Violence in Brazil: Carnaval, Capoeira, and the problem of everyday life" in American Ethnologist, 26(3): 539-557, 1999.
- "Genre and Embodiment: From Brazilian Capoeira to the Ethnology of Human Movement" Cultural Anthropology, 10(2): 221-43, 1995.
- "The Maleny 'Fire Event': Rehearsal toward Neo-liminality" (With Paul Dowsey-Magog) The Australian Journal of Anthropology, 4(3): 198-219, 1993.
- Anthropology of Performance
- Intercultural Performance
- Embodiment (Honours Seminar)
- Sport as Cultural Performance
- Croatian folk dance in Australia
- Reyog performances in East Java
- Folk dance in NE Afghanistan; Bodyweather (Butoh) in Australia
- Yoga in Australia
- Suzuki-influenced contemporary performance in Australia
- Phenomenology of Audience Being.