Dr Mark Cariston Seton
Phone: 02 9798 3747
Mark Seton is an Honorary Associate in the Department of Performance Studies at the University of Sydney. He has lectured and tutored aspiring performance-makers at the University of Sydney, University of Western Sydney and Macquarie University since 2002. Prior to this, he worked variously as an editor, production manager, director, writer and producer in film and video production for over 20 years, and more recently as a dramaturg for contemporary performance. He is an accredited InterPlay teacher with InterPlay Australia.
- Actor Training
- Digital Performance
- Contemporary Dramaturgy
- Research and workshop developmentRelational resilience in performance training and practice
- Video editing of Communication/Failure by Victoria Spence, Sam James, Jason Sweeney and Mark Seton, Performance Space, 2005
- “Recognising and Mis-recognising the ‘x’ factor: The Audition Selection Process in Actor-training Institutions Revisited” Australasian Drama Studies, April 2007 (forthcoming)
- “The theatrical text as a misrecognised technological practice: Shape-shifting interventions between words and bodies” in Scan: Journal of Media Arts Culture, December 2006
- “Readers’ Forum: Will we still be right mate?”, Platform Papers No. 8, 2006, pp. 66 – 68
- “Education Feature: Scoping Study of the Performing Arts”, RealTime, No. 56, 2003, p. 12
- “Reproducibility: Determining Presence, Generating Absence”, Metro, No. 131/132, 2002, pp. 204 – 210
- "Constructing (in)vulnerable bodies: Duty of care in teaching and assessing performance practices"
Drama Victoria Conference, University of Melbourne, 2006
- "Post-Dramatic Stress: Negotiating Vulnerability for Performance"
Australasian Drama Studies Association Conference, University of Sydney, 2006
- "Playing with story, voice and movement"
Annual Seminar, Speech and Drama Association of NSW, 2006
- "Playing with the digital in performance: Negotiating complex interactions across the digital-human continuum"
Workshop on Interactive Systems in Performance, Macquarie University, 2005
- "Living with the digital in performance: Recognitions and misrecognitions of the familiar"
e-Performance and Plug ins: A Mediatised Performance and Conference, UNSW, 2005
- "In or between: Locating the ‘X’ factor in the formation of trained actors"
Australasian Drama Studies Association Conference, Wagga Wagga, 2005
- "Vulnerability, Power and Spirituality: Embodied Ministry Today
Engaging with Popular Culture"
Anglican Diocese of Newcastle Annual Clergy School, Morpeth, 2005
- Member, Human Research Ethics Committee, Australian College of Theology
- Member, Leaders’ Circle, InterPlay® Australia
- Adjunct lecturer in Popular Culture, Macquarie Christian Studies Institute, Macquarie University
- Adjunct lecturer and tutor, School of Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney
- Course Presenter, “Shakespeare at the Movies”, Continuing Centre for Education, University of Sydney