Dr David Macarthur
BA (Hons) MBBS Sydney PhD Harvard
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy
A14 - The Quadrangle
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 3193|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 3918|
Dr David Macarthur joined the Department of Philosophy in July 2003. Previously, David was an Assistant Professor at Tufts University (1999-2000) and a Research Fellow in philosophy at Macquarie University (2000-3). David has been the library liaison officer since 2005.
Skepticism, Pragmatism, Metaphysical Quietism, Philosophy of Psychology, History of Modern Philosophy, Wittgenstein, Aesthetics and Art.
David has been the organiser of the fortnightly SHAPE research seminar since 2009. He has also organised the following SOPHI-sponsored international philosophy conferences:
- The Sublime: A Re-Evaluation (Feb, 2011)
- Themes from Cavell (Feb 2012)
- Neo-Pragmatism: Truth and Justification (Dec 2012)
Teaching and supervision
- Phil 1011: Beauty
- Phil 1010: Knowledge.
- The Later Wittgenstein
- Aesthetics and Art
- Themes from Cavell
- Shane Waugh, “Pyrrhonian Lessons on Common Sense and Belief” (PhD)
- Nandi Theunissen, “Truth, Realism and the Task of Inquiry” (MPhil with high distinction).
- Alastair Goff, “The Ancient Quarrel between Philosophy and Poetry: Its Basis and Its Importance for Developing a Philosophical Understanding of Literary Works” (MPhil with distinction).
- Ronan Williams, “The Practical and Professional Dimensions of Skepticism about Others” (MPhil with distinction).
- Alex Angel, “McDowell and Experience: Self-Determination and Answerability to the World” (MPhil with high distinction).
Karl Hand, “Sensitivity and Playfulness: The Role of Intention in
Hermeneutics” (MA with distinction).
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getHonoursSupervisor Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1030922', ). Error Fetching http headers