Professor Duncan Ivison
Professor of Political Philosophy
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
A14 - The Quadrangle
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 2206 - PA|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 5333|
I teach in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Sydney. I have also taught in the the Department of Political Science at the University of Toronto; the Department of Politics at the University of York (UK) and was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Research School of Social Sciences at the ANU. I did my BA at McGill University in Montreal, where I grew up, and my MSc and PhD at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
I have been Laurance S. Rockefeller Visiting Fellow, and Visiting Fellow in Ethics and Public Affairs, at the Center for Human Values, Princeton University (2002-3), as well as Visiting Fellow at the Humanities Research Centre at the ANU (1997).
I work in three main areas: political theory, the history of political thought and ethics. I've published four books: The Self at Liberty: Political Argument and the Arts of Government (Cornell UP, 1997); Postcolonial Liberalism (Cambridge UP, 2002), which was awarded the 2004 CB Macpherson Prize by the CPSA for best book in political theory in 2002 and 2003; Rights (Acumen and McGill Queens Press, 2008); and with Paul Patton and Will Sanders, edited Political Theory and the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (Cambridge UP, 2000; reprinted 2002)); and the The Ashgate Research Companion to Multiculturalism (Ashgate, 2010).
I am currently working on ARC funded projects to do with the uneasy alliance between justice and democracy, as well as an intellectual history of the concept of social justice.
- The Sydney Social Justice Project; Carney T, Celermajer D, Connell R, Freebody P, Goodwin S, Graycar R, Ivison D, Keane J, Kinley D, Meagher G, Schlosberg D, Sluga G, Tormey S; DVC Research/Research Network Scheme (SyReNS).
- The uneasy alliance between democracy and justice; Ivison D; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- The uneasy alliance between democracy and justice; Ivison D; University of Sydney/Bridging Support.
- The fragility of toleration: politics and the moral psychology of tolerance and intolerance; Ivison D; University of Sydney/Research & Development.
- A natural history of rights and norms: towards a dynamic understanding of the transformations of social and political identities; Gatens M, Ivison D, Patton P; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Moral pluralism and political community.; Ivison D; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Research and Development (R&D).
- The postcolonial state: Democratic decision making and the claims of Aboriginal peoples; Ivison D; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Research and Development (R&D).
- Justice and Reconciliation in divided societies; Ivison D; University of Sydney/University Research Grant.
Selected publicationsAn error occurred when trying to display this profile. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. If this error persists, please report this to the ICT Helpdesk though the Self Service Portal or on 9351 6000.
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getBookSellingLinks Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1005464', ). Error Fetching http headers