Services and Facilities
- Schaeffer Library occupies two floors of the RC Mills Building. The main reading area, the Fern Reading Room, is located adjacent to the reference desk and has seating for 24. The open area on the mezzanine level has seating for 12. Also located on the mezzanine level are two study rooms, each with seating for 12, a room devoted to Japanese printed materials with seating for 3, and a postgraduate and researcher's study room with two computers.
- 2 viewing stations are available for viewing DVDs.
- 4 computers are available in the open areas for internet searching, and another 2 computers opposite the reference desk are dedicated to Sydney University Library catalogue searches.
- Photocopiers are available on both levels and are coin-operated. Black & white copies cost 12c each for an A4 page, colour copies cost $1.00 each for an A4 page. Printing from the computers is not currently available, but will be introduced this year.
SERVICES FOR ACADEMICS
- The library staff can provide a variety of digitization services including digital photography, slide scanning, flatbed scanning, and image processing.
- As VHS playback is no longer supported by the University of Sydney, in cases of urgency the library can provide a VHS to DVD transfer service for materials held in our collection.
- Recording of broadcast television programmes for use in teaching and research may be requested.
- The library staff can assist academics from the Department of Art History and Film Studies with the establishment of digital archives for storing private research images.