Groups and Centres
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is a lively and diverse research community within which are the following research centres and groups.
In 2010 the Faculty introduced the Faculty of Arts Collaborative Research Scheme (FCRS) grants. This scheme was initiated in order to promote new collaborative research projects that would encourage colleagues across Schools (and indeed Faculties) to work together in new and emergent areas and build research capacity in a range of different ways. The scheme is supported by the Faculty and the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research.
The following round in 2012 awarded grants to a further 6 new groups naming 58 separate researchers spread across all 5 schools in the Faculty and including researchers from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, the Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning, the Koori Centre and the Nicholson Museum.
In the initial 2010 round, the Research Committee awarded grants to 7 new collaborative research groups naming 57 separate researchers spread across all 4 schools in the Faculty and including researchers from Education and Social Work, Law and the Museums.
- The Medieval and Early Modern Centre
- Centre for International Security Studies
- Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies
- Centre for Time
- Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
- Australian Centre for Asian Art and Archaeology
- Centre for Classical and Near Eastern Studies of Australia
- The Institute for Democracy and Human Rights
- Transnationalism and Translation in Literary Studies
- Early Modern Literature and Culture (EMLAC)
- Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture (MACLAC)
- Archaeology of Sydney Research Group
- The Sydney University Research Community for Latin America
- The Nineteenth-Century Study Group
- Markets and Society Research Network
- Biopolitics of Science Research Network
- Social Transformation and International Migration
- Human, Animal, Research, Network (HARN)
- Environmental Humanities
- Gender and Modernity
- Nation Empire Globe
- Race and Ethnicity in the Global South
- Social Studies of Finance Research Network
- Law and Society Research Network
- The Quarantine Project
- Ancient North African & Phoenician Diaspora (ANAPD)
- Sydney Intellectual History Network