News and Events
To see our full list of events see the Gobal Social Justice Network Email Archive (click on the Thread links for each month)
- To receive these emails join GSJN by clicking here to visit our short new members survey and subscription page.
CAREERS IN HUMAN RIGHTS, DEVELOPMENT AND PEACE: PANEL SESSION
Come and hear from leading practitioners in the fields of human rights, development and peacebuilding on how to advance your careers in these exciting areas.
WHEN: 6.15 (for 6.30pm start) - 8pm, Tuesday 16th September 2014
WHERE: Woolley Common Room, John Woolley Building (CLICK HERE FOR A MAP)
- Grace Nicholas: Senior Program Coordinator – ActionAid
- Ngila Bevan: Manager, Advocacy and Communications – People with Disability Australia
- Lisa Townshend: International Programs Officer, UNICEF (and former student) and Communications Manager – DevQuest
PLUS INTRODUCTIONS TO AND NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES WITH:
- Sinead Hartnett: Industry Development Manager – Careers Centre
- Lisa Townshend: DevQuest and the opportunities for GloSo members
- Daniel Escobar: Intern at ActionAid and currently Acting Philanthropy and Partnerships Manager, ActionAid (and former student)
Followed by informal networking and light refreshments.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: See the event poster posted by the Careers Centre.
RSVP: email your name and degree by Friday 12 September to , Internship & Industry Liasion Officer. Places are limited!
PUBLIC FORUM: ANZAC - WHY DOES IT LAST?
With the Anzac Centenary and the ‘cacophony of ceremonies’ about to begin, you are invited to a public forum: 'Anzac - why does it last?'. Internationally recognized author and historian Prof. Joan Beaumont (Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, ANU) will address this topic. There will be a Q&A session following the address. The Gallipoli Centenary Peace Campaign will be launched at the start of the event.
Guest Speaker: Prof Joan Beaumont (Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, ANU), author of Broken Nation: Australians in the Great War.
WHEN: 6.00pm (for a 6.30pm start) - 8pm Tuesday 5th August
WHERE: Eastern Avenue Auditorium, University of Sydney (CLICK HERE FOR A MAP)
ENTRY: By donation
MORE INFO: Gallipoli Centenary Peace Campaign
Also find the event on Facebook:
CELEBRATING WOMEN, INSPIRING GIRLS
GloSo along with the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies would like to invite you to celebrate International Women's Day 2014. There will be a panel discussion followed by Q & A. The panel is a unique combination of both practitioners and academics who have extensive experience in the field of women's human rights, peace and justice. Refreshments will be provided.
- Naomi Steer: Australia for UNHCR
- Dr Susan Banki: University of Sydney
- Punam Yadav: University of Sydney
- Rosemary Grey: University of New South Wales
Chair: Kate Moore: UNICEF Australia
WHEN: 7-9pm Wednesday 5 March 2014
WHERE: New Law School Annex, Lecture Theatre 104, University of Sydney (CLICK HERE FOR A MAP)
EVENT COORDINATORS: Kerstin Jonzon email@example.com and Lisa Townshend firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR MORE INFORMATION: www.celebrateiwd.com
CREATORS OF PEACE CIRCLE
The Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (CPACS) at Sydney University is offering GloSo members a special opportunity to participate in a 'Creators of Peace Circle'. The aim is to experience being together with others of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs/faiths and to explore together your own peace-creating ability to generate peace in your own life and in your wider community. We also hope some ongoing friendships will be fostered and community peacebuilding initiatives explored during this time.
The Creators of Peace is an international women's initiative started in 1991 with the aim of inviting women to engage in the creation of peace at every level of society, but this the opportunity to participate in the Peace Circle at CPACS is open to all, both men and women.
Numbers are limited, so we request you to RSVP as soon as possible if you are interested in participating.
The session will be facilitated by leading peacebuilding practitioner-trainers Shoshana Faire and Patricia Garcia.
- Shoshana is a professional facilitator and co-founder of the Conflict Resolution Network. She is co-author of the best-selling Everyone Can Win: How to Resolve Conflict and The Conflict Resolution Trainers’ Manual.
- Patricia is a visiting scholar at Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies and designed the centre's postgraduate Human Rights course. She has over 20 years’ experience managing and coordinating humanitarian relief and recovery programmes in the world’s longest running conflicts, including Afghanistan, Sudan, Bosnia and Burma.
WHEN: SATURDAY 1 March & SUNDAY 2 March 9.30am – 5.30pm both days plus MONDAY 17th March 6pm-9pm.
WHERE: Posters of Peace Gallery, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, Mackie Building K01, Arundel St, Glebe, University of Sydney (CLICK HERE FOR A MAP)
RSVP AND MORE INFO: Contact Lydia or Punam at CPACS: email@example.com