The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Scholarships and Financial Assistance website offers comprehensive information about scholarships and financial assistance for future and current students.
Additional information can be found at the University's Scholarships Office website.
POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SUPPORT SCHEME (PRSS)
The PRSS is a scheme that provides direct support for currently enrolled postgraduate research students. Under the scheme, funds are allocated to Schools within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences based on their higher degree research enrolment figures in the previous year. The funds are not allocated directly to the students but are awarded by Schools to eligible applicants on a competitive basis according to the University's general guidelines. Information about the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme is available on the Scholarships Office website.
The School of Literature, Art and Media (SLAM) accepts PRSS applications from postgraduate research students associated with the following departments and Programs:
- Art History and Film Studies
- Australian Literature
- Celtic Studies
- Media and Communications (including Digital Cultures)
- Medieval Studies
- Museum Studies
- Performance Studies
- Studies in Religion
- Writing Hub
The Postgraduate Research Support Scheme provides reimbursement for expenses (or proposed expenses) incurred during the calendar year of application only. Each eligible student can lodge only one application in any PRSS round.
When to apply
There is one application round each year. Applications open Monday 13 April 2015 and close Monday 18 May 2015.
How to Apply
- Download a copy of the Application Form, Budget Template, Supervisors' Recommendation Template, Guidelines and Information for Students.
- Read the guidelines and information for students carefully; they contain important information on who is eligible to apply, how often you may apply, the categories of expenses that will be supported under this scheme, and minimum / maximum amounts that can be claimed.
- Make sure you complete the application form in full (including signatures) and attach all relevant supporting documentation.
- Ensure any funding claims are supported with evidence.
- Discuss your application with your supervisor, both to seek their feedback on the quality of your application and to ensure they support your application for funds.
PRSS information session
An information session for the 2015 PRSS round was held on Wednesday 29 April 2015, 10am-11am in the John Woolley Common Room, to provide advice to applicants on submitting a funding proposal for this competitive grant scheme.
PRSS Information Session Slides
Submitting an application
Please submit 4 (four) sets of the completed application and attachments by 4pm on Monday 18 May 2015 to:
Research Support Officer
c/o General Office Room N386
John Woolley Building A20
School of Letters, Art and Media (SLAM)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006
General Office Opening Hours: 10am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, and 10am – 4pm Friday
All enquiries relating to the application process for the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS) should be directed to Sarah Taylor, Research Support Officer for the School of Letters, Art and Media on 9351 4171 or
Notification of Application Outcome
Students will advised of the outcome of their application via email by Friday 12 June 2015.