Mrs Macarena Gordillo De Paz
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
Born in Madrid. I am a qualified teacher specialising in teaching Spanish as a second language as well as art history. I joined the Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Sydney in 2012 and teach the Spanish language from beginner to advanced levels. I have also previously taught at Spanish Solutions, Mt. Ku-ring-gai Community College, The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) and the Cervantes Institute Sydney, where I designed a conversation course for students at intermediate level. Besides teaching I also design courses and material where I aim to combine language and culture, always with the aim of motivating students.
I am a certified examiner of the Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE) for Basic, Waystage, Intermediate and Advanced levels. I am also a tutor for the on-line learning system Aula Virtual de Español (AVE). I am currently studying a Master of Philosophy at the University of Sydney with the view to completing my PhD.
My main interest is in the link between language and culture. Since I started teaching Spanish I have recognised that teaching a language implies teaching its culture. One aspect of culture I am particularly interested in is art. Art has an important place in my classes as it expresses the culture of a people and it opens many possibilities for interesting and interactive learning. It adds another dimension to the language acquisition process. From basic colours to developing stories through an artwork, I aim to design activities that connect to the student’s needs and promote their interest in the language and Hispanic culture.
Teaching and supervision
At present, I am the coordinator of Spanish Levels 1 and 7 at the University of Sydney as well as teaching Spanish at the University of Sydney and at the Cervantes Institute Sydney from Beginners to Advance levels.
I am a curriculum developer for the Spanish Diploma at the University of Sydney. I design teaching material and exams for online learning for the six levels of the Spanish Diploma.
Currently I am in the process of writing a textbook to teach Spanish through Hispanic Art called "Por Amor al Arte". I make reference to artworks and artists such as Goya, Velázquez, Picasso, Gaudí, Frida Kahlo, Maruja Mallo and Fura dels Baus.
Furthermore I am carrying out several projects on the use of art in the classroom. In 2014 I created a training course for teachers for the University of Hong Kong: "Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Through Art" where I explained how to use art in classes from level A1 to C2, by following the guidelines of the Common European Framework. Also in 2013 I designed a course for the Cervantes Institute Sydney: "Art as a part of the class of Spanish as a Foreign Language".
In addition to this, I work with the Education Department of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art in Madrid. We are creating programs focused on teaching Spanish as a foreign language through art. We have developed a close relationship between the distant cities of Sydney and Madrid.
- Member of the Spanish Teachers' Association of NSW.
- Speaker "Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language Through Art". 2nd International Teacher Conference for Learning Spanish as a Foreign Language in the University of Hong Kong, China (2014).
- Speaker "Art as part of the class of Spanish as a Foreign Language" (2012). Cervantes Institute in Sydney, Australia.
- Speaker via video presentation "Educational Program for Learning Spanish as a Foreign Language with the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art". 2nd International Conference "Museums in Education. From Action to Reflection"(2012). Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Madrid, Spain.
- Gordillo de Paz, M. (2015): Course Reader Spanish 7. Sydney University.
- Gordillo de Paz, M. and Del Río Hernández, M. (2014): Course Reader Spanish 1. Sydney University.
- Gordillo de Paz, M. and Del Río Hernández, M. (2014): Course Reader Spanish 7. Sydney University.
- Gordillo de Paz, M. and Del Río Hernández, M. (2013): Course Reader Spanish 1. Sydney University.