Dr Myriam Del Rio Hernandez
PhD (Vienna University), PGCE (Universidad de Barcelona), Licenciada (Universidad de Zaragoza)
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 3876|
My research focuses on the process of de/construction of identity – mainly female identity – and how this is reflected in the contemporary narrative production of Spain. Themes such as autobiography, metafiction, memory, spatial perception, embodiment, modes of representation and writing are examined in relation to identity.
My field of interest extends beyond literature to Psychology, Anthropology, Art and other forms of cultural manifestation.
- Contemporary Spanish narrative
- Gender Studies
- Space (spatial perception and body, elements of formation of identity and of the cultural behaviour of the subject)
- Body (self-representation, subject and object)
- Mirror and modes of representation (the other as mirror, self-perception, self-awareness and re-memorisation)
Teaching and supervision
- Language courses from Beginners to Advanced
- Spanish culture (literature and cinema)
- Honours seminars
- Spanish contemporary female writers
- Mirror as cultural image in European culture (literature, art, film)
Further investigation of modes of representation in contemporary Spanish narrative. Working title: ‘Mirror as a Symbolic Construction of Identity through the Body’. This analysis looks particularly at a selection of work by Carmen Laforet, Ana Mar'a Matute, Carmen Martín Gaite, Javier Marías, Juan José Millás, Almudena Grandes, Rosa Montero, Josefina Aldecoa, Dulce Chacón etc.
- Erasmus (EuRopean Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students) programme Liaison Officer
- Examiner for the International Baccalaureate Organisation
- Course Designer and Teacher of Spanish and Latin American Literature, Instituto Cervantes