Dr Rebecca Scott Bray
Co-Director, Sydney Institute of CriminologySenior Lecturer in Socio-Legal StudiesDirector, Bachelor of Socio-Legal Studies
A26 - R.C. Mills Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 4086|
Dr Rebecca Scott Bray is Co-Director of the Sydney Institute of Criminology, Sydney Law School. Her research focuses on the coronial jurisdiction and issues around the dead. She has taught criminology at the University of Melbourne, and thereafter worked as Co-ordinator of Coronial Inquests for the Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia. Before her appointment at the University of Sydney, Rebecca was a Research Officer at the Victorian Coroner’s Office.
To view a Staff Spotlight of Rebecca speaking about her research, click here
Coronial law and practice, inquests and death investigation, medico-legal and forensic criminology, cultural criminology, and the intersections of crime, law and culture as they involve the dead body.
Teaching and supervision
- Editorial Committee, Alternative Law Journal
- NSW Convenor, Editorial Board, Alternative Law Journal (July 2011-January 2012; October 2009 – July 2010)
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology
- Member, Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Sydney Institute of Criminology
- Member, Sydney Forensic Medicine and Science Network
- Member, Sydney Biopolitics of Science Network
January – July 2012
Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales, Kensington, NSW, Australia
August 2008 – January 2009
Visiting Scholar, Department of Sociology, New York University, New York USA
- Scott Bray, R. 2011 Keynote Address, ‘Acts of Emergency', Law and its Accidents, Melbourne Doctoral Forum on Legal Theory, Melbourne Law School, 15-16 December, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
- Scott Bray, R. 2011 Speaker, ‘Art's ’Actual Experience': Medico-Legal Portraits and Photogenic Violence', Department of Gender and Cultural Studies Research Seminar, 19 August, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- Scott Bray, R. 2010 Speaker, ‘Establishing Fatal Facts: Death and the Coroner’, School of Social Science Seminar Series, 11 October, University of Western Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- Scott Bray, R. 2008 Workshop participant, 'The Preserved Tongue and Other Pieces’, The Question of “Waste” in the History of Medicine', 16-17 May, Warwick University, Palazzo Pesaro Papafava, Venice, Italy.
- Scott Bray, R. 2007 Plenary Keynote Address, ‘Voir Mort’, International Conference of the Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand, 28-30 November, Melbourne Law School, Melbourne, Australia
- Scott Bray, R. 2006 Speaker, ‘Cultural and Legal Issues Around Forensic Experiments’, Socio-Legal Research Centre Seminar Series, 23 October, Griffith Law School, Brisbane, Australia.
- Scott Bray, R. 2006 Keynote Address, ‘En Piel Ajena: The Work of Teresa Margolles’, Annual International Conference of the Law and Literature Association of Australia, 13-14 July, School of Law, The University of Melbourne, Faculty of Law, Victoria, Australia.
- Scott Bray, R. 2005 Speaker, 'The New Visibility of Death', Berlin, Germany. Introduced exhibition of photographs by Jeffrey Silverthorne: 'Of Twilight and Evidence: The Photographs of Jeffrey Silverthorne; Invited paper: 'Inquest: A Pulp History of Forensic and Funereal Life', 17-19 November, Humboldt University, Haus der Begegnung at Ahorn-Grieneisen.
- Scott Bray, R. 2000 Speaker, 'Sensing Death: The Chiaroscuro of Touch in the Mortuary Photography of Sue Fox', paper presented at the One-Day Symposium held by the Australian Centre for Contemporary Photography/ UNSW/COFA 9 September, COFA, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getCollaborator Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1040961', ). Error Fetching http headers