Information for Students

Please Note: The Department of Sociology and Social Policy is administered by the School of Social and Political Sciences (SSPS).

SSPS Office hours: Monday–Friday, 10am-4pm; Wednesday, 10:30pm-4pm

(lower level, RC Mills Building/A26)

If you ... Then do this ...
Need an extension on an assignment or require Special Consideration for examinations or assignments For more information see the Assessment Consideration page on the Faculty website.
Having trouble with attendance Contact your unit of study co-ordinator or tutor.
Need to submit an assignment If you are required to submit your assignment in hard copy, rather than online, assignments are to be submitted in the submission box outside the School office, with a completed and signed cover sheet attached. Click hereto download cover sheet.

Some units of study require online submission - you should follow the submission guidelines provided by your unit of study coordinator.

Need to pick up an essay Wait until your unit of study co-ordinator advises they are ready for collection. These can be collected from the School office.
Need to contact a tutor See your unit of study co-ordinator .  First year tutors can be found on the tutors' page.

How do I start studying Sociology and Social Policy?

These units all have a code that begins with SCLG 1, and are sometimes called Junior level units. There is no assumed knowledge in these units - students come as they are. Generally speaking, you sit one Junior unit of Sociology in each semester of your first year if you wish to continue on to completing Honours, a Major or any Senior level units in Sociology and/or Social Policy.

What happens after this?

After this depends on a lot of factors, including which degree you are sitting and under which Degree Resolutions you entered.

For best advice, we recommend you 'consult the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate Handbook for details of the subject area you wish to study – Sociology, Social Policy or Socio-Legal Studies – and associated Table A units'

You can also contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences for further information. , by telephone on +612 9351 3129 or in person at the Faculty Office, Level 2, Lobby H, Quadrangle Building A14.

What do I need to know about Honours?

See the Honours information page for more information and course updates.