Getting paid as a casual academic in SOPHI


University Code of Conduct

By accepting your engagement as a casual academic in SOPHI you agree to comply with the University's Code of Conduct. Download code of Conduct

Your contract
Your appointment as a tutor is formalised when your sign your contract. Your contract specifies the number of tutorials and/or lectures and might include the amount of marking you agree to do, as well as the rates at which you will be paid. Your unit coordinator, in consultation with the Chair of Department and the finance team, will determine the conditions of your contract.

Once the contract has been drawn up, the Finance team will contact you to let you know it's ready to sign.

Things you must bring when you come to sign the contract:

Previous staff member (if you have been employed as a casual academic by the University in the past 12 months):

1. Employee ID Number
2. UniKey (if you have one)
3. University email address

New staff member (if you have not been employed as a casual academic by the University in the past 12 months):

1. Proof of Identity, Residency & the right to work in Australia (such as photo ID,
Driver license; birth certificate or passport) – All Original documents
2. Tax File Number
3. Bank Account Details (BSB details, account number and name of the bank and address of your branch)

What am I paid for?

You are paid by the unit for your face-to-face teaching and for marking:

    You can see the casual academic rates of pay at: (it requires unikey to login)

    Casual academic rates of pay.

    Getting paid

    You only need to come to sign the contract once before you commence your casual teaching and you will be paid automatically based on the pay schedule form that is attached to your original contract.

    Casual teaching is paid on the University’s fortnightly pay cycle, based on the payment schedule that was attached to your original contract.

    Variations on your contract

    Once you sign the contract, you are paid automatically on the agreed units for your tutoring, lecturing or marking. However, if you are unable to perform your task as originally agreed, you need to inform both your supervisor and the finance officer in order for them to arrange an adjustment on your next pay and find an alternative replacement for your teaching or tutoring during the period of your absence. If you are taking more classes and require an increase in your unit of pay, please talk to your unit coordinator (supervisor) about the variation. Once additional units of pay are confirmed, your supervisor needs to send an email to the Chair of your department and the finance officer to arrange the additional payment.

    All enquiries relating to contracts details & pay queries should be directed to:

    Pei Cai
    Room 613
    A17 Brennan MacCallum
    University of Sydney
    NSW 2006

    or Jing Chen:

    Room 615
    A17 Brennan MacCallum
    University of Sydney
    NSW 2006