Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS)
The PRSS is a scheme that provides direct support for currently enrolled postgraduate research students. Under the scheme, funds are allocated to Schools within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences based on their higher degree research enrolment figures in the previous year. The funds are not allocated directly to the students but are awarded by Schools to eligible applicants on a competitive basis according to the University's general guidelines. Information about the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme is available on the Scholarships Office website.
The School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI) accepts PRSS applications from postgraduate research students associated with the following departments:
- Classics and Ancient History
- Gender and Cultural Studies
The Postgraduate Research Support Scheme provides reimbursement for expenses (or proposed expenses) incurred during the calendar year of application only. Each eligible student can lodge only one application in any PRSS round.
When to apply
There is one application round each year. Applications for 2014 opened Wednesday 30 April close at 4pm Thursday 12 June 2014. Late applications will not be accepted.
How to apply
- Download a copy of the application form and guidelines.
- Read the guidelines carefully; they contain important information on who is eligible to apply, how often you may apply, the categories of expenses that will be supported under this scheme, and minimum / maximum amounts that can be claimed.
- Make sure you complete the application form in full (including signatures) and attach all relevant supporting documentation.
- Ensure any funding claims are supported with evidence (e.g. if you are claiming funds for presenting at a conference include evidence of the invitation to present).
- Discuss your application with your supervisor, both to seek their feedback on the quality of your application and to ensure they support your application for funds.
- Obtain a supporting statement from your supervisor to attach to your application. Download a copy of the Supervisor's Statement template.
PRSS information session
An information session for the 2014 PRSS round will be held in May, to provide advice to applicants on submitting a funding proposal for this competitive grant scheme. The session will include an opportunity for questions.
Time: 2-3pm Mon
Date: Monday 5th May 2014
Venue: Woolley Common Room (N480 Woolley Building)
Click here to see the PowerPoint of the Information Session.
Submitting an application
Please submit 7 (seven) sets of the completed application and attachments by the closing date to:
Research Training Support Officer
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006
Applications can be submitted at the SOPHI Office located at Level 3, Quadrangle A14 (next to MacLaurin Hall Stairway). Opening hours are 10am – 4pm Monday to Friday.
All enquiries relating to the application process for the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS) should be directed to Wendy Reade on 9114 1150 .