Dr Barrie Wharton
BA, PhD (University of Limerick)
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+91 2 9351 4085|
|Curriculum vitae||Curriculum vitae|
Dr. Barrie Wharton graduated with a B.A. First Class Honours from the University of Limerick/Universidad de Valladolid (Spain) in European Studies in 1994 and was awarded the Perpetual Silver Medal for the highest marks amongst that year's graduants. He was later awarded a Ph.D. from the same university in 1997. Dr. Wharton has lectured and published extensively throughout Europe, North America, Africa and the Arab world and he is a regular voice in the international media. In 2006/6 and 2009/10, he as a senior research fellow at the National Centre for Research on Europe of the University of Canterbury (New Zealand). Most recently, before coming to Sydney, he was Head of Hispanic Studies at the University of Limerick and Director of the Structured Ph.D. in New Media and Film (University of Limerick/National University of Ireland Galway) and the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for European Studies.
- Spanish society and cultural change
- Spanish cinema
- Islam, Europe and Spain
- Spanish Civil War
- Globalization and sport
- Cultural dislocation in contemporary Europe
Teaching and supervision
Dr. Wharton teaches and coordinates SPAN3624 and SPAN3612. He also supervises a number of postgraduate candidates.
- Erasmus Mundus 2011-2014 (Principal Coordinator-EUOSSIC-Academic Exchange Oceania-EU-Budget 1.5 million €)
- Globalization, Sport and Spanish Society-Sage Handbook of Globalization
- Member, Instituto Cervantes. Member, European Union Centres Network (Australasia).
- Member, Association for the Study of Islam in the Modern World,
- Member, Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies,
- Fellow, Spanish National Archives,
- Member, Instituto Camoes,
- Member, European Union Studies Association.
Awards and honours
- Nominated to National Committee on International Affairs of Royal Irish Academy, (Advisory Body to Irish Minister of Foreign Affairs), 2012.
- Awarded annual medal and travel bursary for guest lecture by Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs for work on contemporary European culture (nominated by Universities of Venice, Siena and Cagliari), 2008.
- Awarded scholarship for lecture tour of Greece by Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs as Ireland/Greece Annual Scholar, 2004.
- Annual “Aula Magna” Lecture at University of León (Spain)-organized by Faculty of Arts, February, 2002..
- Awarded Medalla de Honor of the Universidad de Valladolid (Spain) in recognition of research and services to the University and Spain, 2001.
- Final Shortlist for Peter Ball Young Sports Journalist of the Year Award, 1999.
- Selected Irish participant in Ionian Conference, Greece, May, 1999 for 25 most outstanding young academics in the Humanities in Europe.
- Invited Guest Speaker for Annual Ramadan Lecture (first from British Isles) in University of Asyut, Egypt, 1998.
- Forty-Minute Television interview on work with Egyptian Presidential reporter, Mr. Sami Zidane in weekly “Voice of Ramadan” series. Interview broadcast in Egypt and later by satellite throughout the Arab World, Europe and North America, 1998.
- Awarded Silver Shield of Honour (Highest Civilian Honour) by Asyut Governorate, 1998 for services to Governorate and Egypt.
- Final Shortlist for Annual Hennessy Cognac/Sunday Tribune New Irish Writer of the Year Award, 1996.
- Awarded University of Limerick/University of Valladolid (Spain)-Exchange Scholarship, 1991-1992 and 1993-94.
- Awarded President’s Ph.D. scholarship, University of Limerick, 1994.
- Europe and Globalization; Wharton B, University of Cantebury .; EU Framework/Erasmus Mundus Mobility Project.
- Youssef Chahine and Europe: A history of ideas; Wharton B; University of Limerick/Research Grant.
- Islam and cultural identity in twentieth century Italy; Wharton B; Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Research Grant.