POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SUPPORT SCHEME (PRSS)
The PRSS is a scheme that provides direct support for currently enrolled postgraduate research students. Under the scheme, funds are allocated to Schools within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences based on their higher degree research enrolment figures in the previous year. The funds are not allocated directly to the students but are awarded by Schools to eligible applicants on a competitive basis according to the University's general guidelines. Information about the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme is available on the Scholarships Office website.
The School of Social and Political Sciences (SSPS) accepts PRSS applications from postgraduate research students associated with the following departments:
- Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (CPACS)
- Government and International Relations including Centre for International Security Studies (CISS)
- Graduate School of Government
- Political Economy
- Sociology and Social Policy
The Postgraduate Research Support Scheme provides reimbursement for expenses (or proposed expenses) incurred during the calendar year of application only. Each eligible student can lodge only one application in any PRSS round.
When to apply
There is one application round each year. Applications usually open in April, are open for 6 weeks and close in May.
For 2015, applications open Friday 27 March and close Friday 24 April 2015.
Late applications will not be accepted.
How to apply
- Download a copy of the application form, guidelines and Vendor Forms.
[Note: Please download and save the form to avoid scramble view]
- Read the guidelines carefully; they contain important information on who is eligible to apply, how often you may apply, the categories of expenses that will be supported under this scheme, and minimum / maximum amounts that can be claimed.
- Make sure you complete the application form in full (including signatures) and attach all relevant supporting documentation.
- Ensure any funding claims are supported with evidence (e.g. if you are claiming funds for presenting at a conference include evidence of the invitation to present).
- Discuss your application with your supervisor, both to seek their feedback on the quality of your application and to ensure they support your application for funds. More information about the requirements for the supervisor statement of support.
PRSS information session
An information session for the 2015 PRSS round will be held to provide advice to applicants on submitting a funding proposal for this competitive grant scheme.
Thursday 26th March 2015 at 3 - 4 pm
Lecture Room 3 Merewether Building
Submitting an application
Please submit 7 (seven) sets of the completed application and attachments by the closing date to:
School of Social and Political Sciences (SSPS)
Lower Level, RC Mills Building, A26
The University of Sydney NSW 2006
Applications should be sent through to:
All enquiries relating to the application process for the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS) should be directed to the .