Dr Anna Boucher
BA Hons 1 LLB Hons 1 Sydney PGCert MRes PhD London School of Economics
H04 - Merewether Building
The University of Sydney
Anna Boucher’s key research interests are in the areas of public policy, with a particular focus on immigration, gender and welfare state concerns. Her work considers these issues from both an Australian and comparative perspective, with a political science and legal focus. Anna is an active researcher in the immigration field, having co-founded the Migration Studies Unit at the London School of Economics (LSE). She is an ongoing Research Fellow of the Unit and a member of Cities research network at the University of Sydney. Her book Gender Migration and the Global Race for Talent analyses skilled immigration policies globally from a gender perspective. Her second book (in progress), Crossroads of Migration: A Global Approach to Policy Differences (with Justin Gest, Harvard) compares immigration regimes across 61 OECD and non-OECD countries. She holds degrees in law and political science. Prior to coming to Sydney University, she was an Australian Commonwealth Scholar and Zeit Bucerius Scholar in Migration Studies at the LSE.
- Comparative Politics
- Public Policy
- Australian Politics
- Immigration policy and politics
- Welfare state policy
- Gender and politics
- Population politics
- Ethnic relations
- Human Rights
- Public Law
- Research Methods
- Australian, Canadian and German politics
Teaching and supervision
- Daniel Ghezelbash, PhD in Law (2011-2013).
- Lisette Collins, PhD in Government and International Relations (2012-2014)
- Government Honours - Population Politics
- GOVT2111 – Human Rights and Australian Politics
- Hearing but not listening: The effects of lecture recordings on student learning. 2011-2013. This project, with Nicholas Bromfield and Lynne Chester measures the effects of audio capture on student learning, in large classes (>250 students). This project contributes to our understanding of deep learning. Funding: School of Social and Political Sciences; Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Teaching Initiative Award.
- Elder Migration between China and Australia. 2012-2015. A study on the migration of older persons between China and Australia and the effects on structural ageing (with Elaine Ho, Singapore University and Nicole Piper, University of Sydney).
In the media
- “Mantrouble,” interviewed by Andrew Clark for Australian Financial Review, 22 June 2013, page 16 (Perspectives).
- “Labor is the party of equal opportunity: Gillard,” interviewed for Politifact, June 11, 2013.
- “SkyNews UK” Immigration bonds, 22 March 2013.
- “Migration scholars offer another perspective on DIE ZEIT’s N-word debate,” 22 February 2013 (multiple German blogs, including Neue Medienmacher).
- “Asylum: First ask the right questions” (with Mary Crock). Canberra Times, 19 October 2011.
- “Australia and Canada compared”, Radio National Interview, 16 September 2011.
- “Whether a big Australia, or small, immigration can’t be ignored,” Opinion Piece, National Times (The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald), 24 May 2011
Keynote Speakers and Guest Presentations
Boucher, A 2011, "Australia and Canada Compared: The Social Rights of Recently Arrived Immigrants", Migration Institute of Australia Annual Conference, Keynote address, Surfers Paradise, September 2011.
Invited Lectures and Seminars
Boucher, A 2014, Invited as speaker on “Female high-skilled immigration: The role of Policy” for high level forum on “The Drivers and Dynamics of High-Skilled Migration,” International Migration Institute, Oxford University, October 2014.
Boucher, A 2014, Invited as speaker on “Gender and the selection of highly skilled migrants,” International Organisation for Migration forum “Harnessing knowledge on the migration of highly skilled women: An expert group meeting”, International Organisation for Migration, Geneva, April 2014.
Boucher, A 2013, "Gendering highly skilled immigration selection: a global analysis", Work and Organizational Studies Colloquium Series, September 2013.
Boucher, A 2013, Sociology and Social Work Colloquium Series, October 2013.
Boucher, A, Carney T 2013 "Social Security for Migrant Workers and their families in Australia", Sydney Social Justice Research Network, April 2013.
Boucher, A 2013 Expert Meeting of the International Organization of Migration on Gender and Highly Skilled Migration, Geneva, 23-25 October 2013.
Boucher, A 2013 Presentation at the Research School of Political Science, Australian National University, 8 October 2013.
Boucher, A, Gest, J & Helbling, M 2012, "Immigration in a globalised world", presentation for grant funding to the Volkswagen Foundation, Stockholm, June 2012.
Boucher, A, Castles, S & Elder, C 2012, "Immigration and settlement policy in Australia", presentation to the Norwegian Delegation of the Norwegian Ambassador and Parliamentary Standing Committee, February 2012.
Boucher, A, Chester, L & Bromfield, N 2011, "Lecture capture and student learning: Is there a relationship between learning outcomes and the use of lecture recordings?", presented to the University of Sydney Teaching Colloquium, September 2011 and the Institute for Teaching and Learning Research Meeting, October 2011.
Boucher, A 2010, "Challenges and Opportunities for Comparative Migration Research", Presentation at the London School of Economics and Political Science Methods Workshop, London, 10 June 2010.
Boucher, A 2007, Presentation to the Political Science Workshop, Department of Government, LSE, 4 December, 2007.
Boucher, A 2007, Presentation to the Public Policy Workshop, Department of Government, LSE, 5 December, 2007.
Boucher, A. and Gest, J. 2014, “Teaching the International. Domestically…. Visually.” Teacher’s Corner for the American Political Science Association Migration and Citizenship Newsletter, Winter 2014.
Boucher, A 2014, “Gendering skilled immigration policies across the OECD: The Gender and Skilled Immigration (GenderImmi) Dataset,” Report for the International Organisation for Migration, presented in May 2014 at the Global Forum on Migration and Development.
Boucher, A 2013, Migration Section for the Poverty audit of Australia on Immigration, Academics Stand Against Poverty Initative.
Boucher, A 2010, Immigration policy and its Impact: A comparative study with a focus on Spain, Research Report, LSE Migration Studies Unit and ICCS, Madrid, 2010 [with Thielemann, E., Mahía, R., Armstrong, C., Bovens, L., Gest, J., Arce, R., Lorca, A., Lores, N. and McGovern, P.]
Boucher, A 2006, Welfare to Work and Work Choices collide: The intersection of the new compliance regime with industrial relations reform, Policy paper, National Welfare Rights Network, Australia.
Boucher, A 2005, Submission to the Senate Select Committee on Mental Health, Submission on behalf of the Combined Community Legal Centres for the Australian Senate Mental Health Inquiry, Australia.
- Migrant rights in oil and mineral rich democracies; Boucher A; DVC Research/Laffan Fellowships.
- Songs of the Camps: The First Holocaust Songbook; Boucher A, Toltz J; Australian National University/Freilich Foundation ECF Research Grants.
- Understanding skill in the global race for migrant talent; Boucher A; Institute of Public Administration Australia/Public Administration Research Trust Fund.
- International Workshop of Social Transformation and International Migration Research Network Workshop at the University of Sydney; Castles S, Boucher A, Crock M, Inglis C, Rosewarne S, Short S, McClure W, Delgado Wise R, Icduygu A, Lee H, Fozdar F, Vasta E, Jakubowicz A, Collins J, Mansouri F, De Haas H, Kirisci K, Seol D, Manderson R, Bakewell O, Piper N; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Global Crossroads: Immigration to Kuwait and the GCC in International Perspective; Boucher A; Harvard University/Shared Research Support.
- Gender, Migration and the Global Race for Talent; Boucher A; Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences/Research Support Scheme (FRSS).
- Seed Funding for the IMPALA Project; Boucher A, Crock M; Department of Immigration and Citizenship (Federal)/Research Support.
- Fault-lines of Immigration Policy: Harvard-Sydney Immigration Summit; Boucher A, Crock M, Hiscox M; University of Sydney USA Foundation/Research Grant.
- European Consortium for Political Research General Conference.; Boucher A; Ian Potter Foundation/Travel Support.
- The Politics of Migration; Gest J, Boucher A; Harvard University/Research Support.
- Hearing Without Listening: The effect of lecture recordings on student learning; Boucher A; University of Sydney/Teaching and Learning Grant.
- Ian Potter Foundation Travel Grant; Boucher A; Ian Potter Foundation/Travel Support.
- Politics of Migration Project; Boucher A; University of Sydney/Institute of Social Sciences Applied Projects Program.
- The MSU Immigration Policy Index; Boucher A; The London School of Economics and Political Science/Seed Fund Grant.
- The MSU Immigration Policy Index; Boucher A; The Centre for the Study of Economics and Society/Research Support.
- The MSU Immigration Policy Index; Boucher A; The London School of Economics and Political Science/Research Support.
Selected publications & creative works