Dr Elizabeth Rechniewski
PhD (Sydney), BA (London), MA (Leicester)
Honorary Senior Lecturer
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
Elizabeth Rechniewski is Chief Investigator on the Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project: Judging the Past in a Post-Cold War World (with Read P, Vickers A, Keene J, Wyndham M). This project examines the ways in which the end of the Cold War affected a number of countries: Chile, France, Indonesia, and Spain, whose political, ethical and intellectual systems were predicated on Cold War polarities. Using a comparative lens, the project investigates on what grounds, by what means, through what media and to what effect, these key sites on the 'front line' of the Cold War, have sought since 1989 to reconceptualise their pasts and re-evaluate critical events and individuals.
This project develops her research in the area of memory and commemoration: over the last decade she has published widely on remembrance of 20th century war in Australia, France and New Caledonia, including on the commemoration of the role of indigenous soldiers in these countries.
With Matthew Graves (Aix-Marseille University) she has co-written and co-edited several articles and two issues of Portal on 'Geographies of Identity' and on the nexus of scientific, institutional and colonial interests at work in the speculative mapping of Australia in the 1830s.
- The intellectual and artistic avant-garde since the late 19th century
- André Malraux, André Suarès, Sartre
- Discourse analysis
- National sentiment in the French enlightenment
- War and commemoration in the twentieth century
- The analysis of ideology in French editorials
- Chief Investigator on the Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project: Judging the Past in a Post-Cold War World (with Read P, Vickers A, Keene J, Wyndham M).
Chief Investigator on the ARC Discovery project:
‘National Identity and Communications in Early Modern France’ with Professors Margaret Sankey and Angus Martin
- ‘The News project’ discourse analysis of the French press. International research project coordinated by Elizabeth Thompson, University of Wollongong
- ‘Modernism and the City’: intra School project; the work of Apolllinaire; the figure of the flâneur
- Member of editorial board, Australian Journal of French Studies
- Member of editorial board, Eréa - Revue d'etudes anglophones
- Member of editorial board, Explorations: journal of the Institute for the Study of French Australian Relations (ISFAR)
Awards and honours
- Chevalier des Palmes Académiques
- Ordre de mérite
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getGrantDetails Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1002196', ). Error Fetching http headers