Dr Ian Johnson
BA (Cambridge 1972), DES (Bordeaux 1976), PhD ANU(1980)
Honorary Associate, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
H04 - Merewether Building
The University of Sydney
Research: Development of eResearch tools for research-led modelling and collaborative management of research data; Development of new methods of modelling historical events, linking events into historical narratives and displaying events as historical timelines and interactive maps on the web; Uses of maps and timelines in cultural institutions and teaching.
Digital Humanities, Archaeological GIS ,Digital Archaeology, Digital History, Humanities Visualization, Digital Heritage, Archaeological Informatics, Information Visualisation, Museum Informatics,Temporal GIS, Archaeological Information Systems (AIS), Humanties Computing, Cyber-Archaeology, Animated cartography, Archaeology, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|The Price of God: Sectarian Violence, Islamic Fundamentalism, and the Control of Resources in Northern Iraq.||Daniel Joseph TOWER|
- Heurist Academic Knowledge Management System (HeuristNetwork.org)
I have been involved to a greater or lesser extent in the following recent projects which use Heurist:
- Beyond 1914, USyd
- Digital Harlem Vsn 2, USyd
- Dictionary of Sydney, DoS, CoS
- Roehampton Campus Project, Roehampton
- Research Knowledge Sharing Facilitator, KCL, Sciences Po.
- The Virtual Museum of Balinese Paintings, USyd
- Early Agricultual Remnants and Technologies, CNRS/ESF
- Atlanta Phoenix archaeological project, U. Georgia
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System, Macquarie U., NeCTAR
- Humanities Networked Infrastructure, Deakin U., NeCTAR
- Burns photographic collection, NEAF, Usyd
for a full list see heuristnetwork.org/research-projects/
Australian Archaeological Association (Hon. Life Member)
Computer Applications in Archaeology (Chair, Austrlaian Chapter)
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System; Johnson I; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System; Ross S, Johnson I; National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources/Research Support.
- Humanities Networked Infrastructure (HuNI): unlocking and uniting Australias cultural data; Johnson I; National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources/Research Support.
- Produce web-based digital resources (including an interactive map and social media site) that unite representations of the natural environment in film and literature with scientific understandings of ecological issues; Johnson I, Stadler J; Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (Fed)/Inspiring Australia - Unlocking Australia's Potential grants.
- Enriching digital history: adding semantic, spatial and community value to the Dictionary of Sydney; Johnson I, Yeats C, Butler-Bowdon C, Murray L, Chan S, Coleman R, Waterhouse R, Butler-Bowdon C, Chan S, Yeats C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Biomap; Johnson I; European Community/Research Support.
- Education and New Media Technology Smart Services - CRC Project No. ENM01; Greenhalgh A, Reimann P, Johnson I, Kay J; Smart Services Cooperative Research Centre./Research Support.
- BIOMAP; King M, Johnson I; European Commission (Belgium)/Seventh Framework Network of Excellence Programme.
- Mapping the past using advanced technologies: Satellite applications for uncovering archaeological remains at Angkor; Fletcher R, Evans D, Traviglia A, Traviglia R, Johnson I; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage International: ARC International Fellowships (ARCIF).
- Rethinking timelines: a new methodology for describing and communicating history; Mostern R, Robertson S, Reimann P, Johnson I, Crayford M, Tardif R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- The Dictionary of Sydney: Delivering the citys digital multimedia resources to the wider community; Garton S, Johnson I, Coleman R, Ashton P, Fitzgerald S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Living with Heritage: Integrating time place and culture for World Heritage conservation; Fletcher R, Johnson I, Bruce E; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Time Map methodology development for the Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative; Johnson I, Foushee J; University of California, Directed Research Development/BLO Project.
- Development of an interactive Java map based interface for searching and representing Macquarie Net Data research agreement between Macquarie Online Pty Ltd and The University of Sydney; Tardif R, Johnson I; Macquarie Online Pty Ltd/BLO Project.
- TIMEMAP: An analytic, information system for generating interactive visualisation to dynamically represent cultural change in space and time; Johnson I, Patrick J, Fletcher R, McPhedran R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Strategic Partnerships with Industry - Research and Training (SPIRT).
- The Australian Paliochora-Kythera Archaeological survey; Johnson I; Nicholas Anthony Aroney Trust/Archaeological Research.
- SPIRT 2000: TIMEMAP - an analytic, information system for generating interactive visualisations to d; Johnson I.
- Interactive TimeMap and database of World Heritage Sites; Johnson I, Bunting D; UNESCO (France)/BLO Project.