Dr Ian Johnson
H04 - Merewether Building
The University of Sydney
Development of eResearch tools for research-led modelling and collaborative management of research data;
Development of new methods of modelling historical events, linking events into historical narratives and displaying events as historical timelines and interactive maps on the web;
Uses of maps and timelines in cultural institutions and teaching.
BA (Cambridge 1972), DES (Bordeaux 1976), PhD ANU(1980)
Honorary Associate, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, University of Sydney
Senior Research Fellow, University of Sydney 1997 - 2015
Director, Arts eResearch, University of Sydney 2011 - 2013
Director, Archaeological Computing Laboratory 1997 - 2011
Professional Officer, Archaeology, University of Sydney 1990 – 1996
Registrar of Aboriginal Sites, NSW Nat. Parks & Wildlife 1987 – 1990
Lead Programmer, Arkansas Archaeological Survey 1984 – 1987
Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Queensland 1983 – 1984
Laboratory Manager, Kakadu project, ANU. 1981 – 1982
Digital Humanities,Archaeological GIS,Digital Archaeology,Digital History,Humanities Visualization,Digital Heritage,Archaeological Informatics,Information Visualisation,Museum Informatics,Temporal GIS,Archaeological Information Systems (AIS),Humanties Computing,Cyber-Archaeology,Animated cartography,Archaeology, andGeographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Heurist Academic Knowledge Management System (HeuristNetwork.org)
I have been involved to a greater or lesser extent in the following recent projects which use Heurist:
- Beyond 1914, USyd
- Digital Harlem Vsn 2, USyd
- Dictionary of Sydney, DoS, CoS
- Roehampton Campus Project, Roehampton
- Research Knowledge Sharing Facilitator, KCL, Sciences Po.
- The Virtual Museum of Balinese Paintings, USyd
- Early Agricultual Remnants and Technologies, CNRS/ESF
- Atlanta Phoenix archaeological project, U. Georgia
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System, Macquarie U., NeCTAR
- Humanities Networked Infrastructure, Deakin U., NeCTAR
- Burns photographic collection, NEAF, Usyd
for a full list seeheuristnetwork.org/research-projects/
Australian Archaeological Association (Hon. Life Member)
Computer Applications in Archaeology (Chair, Austrlaian Chapter)
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System; Johnson I; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Humanities Networked Infrastructure (HuNI): unlocking and uniting Australias cultural data; Johnson I; National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources/Research Support.
- Produce web-based digital resources (including an interactive map and social media site) that unite representations of the natural environment in film and literature with scientific understandings of ecological issues; Johnson I, Stadler J; Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (Fed)/Inspiring Australia - Unlocking Australia's Potential grants.
- Federated Archaeological Information Management System; Ross S, Johnson I; National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources/Research Support.
- Biomap; Johnson I; European Community/Research Support.
- Enriching digital history: adding semantic, spatial and community value to the Dictionary of Sydney; Johnson I, Yeats C, Butler-Bowdon C, Murray L, Chan S, Coleman R, Waterhouse R, Butler-Bowdon C, Chan S, Yeats C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Education and New Media Technology Smart Services - CRC Project No. ENM01; Greenhalgh A, Reimann P, Johnson I, Kay J; Smart Internet Technology Cooperative Research Centre/Research Support.
- BIOMAP; King M, Johnson I; European Commission (Belgium)/Seventh Framework Network of Excellence Programme.
- Mapping the past using advanced technologies: Satellite applications for uncovering archaeological remains at Angkor; Fletcher R, Evans D, Traviglia A, Traviglia R, Johnson I; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage International: ARC International Fellowships (ARCIF).
- Rethinking timelines: a new methodology for describing and communicating history; Mostern R, Robertson S, Reimann P, Johnson I, Crayford M, Tardif R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- The Dictionary of Sydney: Delivering the citys digital multimedia resources to the wider community; Garton S, Johnson I, Coleman R, Ashton P, Fitzgerald S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Living with Heritage: Integrating time place and culture for World Heritage conservation; Fletcher R, Johnson I, Bruce E; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Time Map methodology development for the Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative; Johnson I, Foushee J; University of California, Directed Research Development/BLO Project.
- Development of an interactive Java map based interface for searching and representing Macquarie Net Data research agreement between Macquarie Online Pty Ltd and The University of Sydney; Tardif R, Johnson I; Macquarie Online Pty Ltd/BLO Project.
- SPIRT 2000: TIMEMAP - an analytic, information system for generating interactive visualisations to d; Johnson I.
- TIMEMAP: An analytic, information system for generating interactive visualisation to dynamically represent cultural change in space and time; Johnson I, Patrick J, Fletcher R, McPhedran R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Strategic Partnerships with Industry - Research and Training (SPIRT).
- Interactive TimeMap and database of World Heritage Sites; Johnson I, Bunting D; UNESCO (France)/BLO Project.
- The Australian Paliochora-Kythera Archaeological survey; Johnson I; Nicholas Anthony Aroney Trust/Archaeological Research.