Mrs Macarena Gordillo De Paz
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
Born in Madrid, I am a qualified teacher specialising in teaching Spanish as a second language as well as art history. I joined the Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies in 2012 and teach Spanish language from beginner to advanced levels. I have also previously taught at Spanish Solutions, Mt. Ku-ring-gai Community College, The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) and the Cervantes Institute, where I designed a conversation course for students at intermediate level. Besides teaching I also design courses and material where I aim to combine language and culture, always with the aim of motivating students. I am a certified examiner of the Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE) for Basic, Waystage, Intermediate and Advanced levels. I am also a tutor for the on-line learning system Aula Virtual de Español (AVE).
My main interest is in the link between language and culture. In teaching Spanish I have come to realise that teaching a language implies teaching its culture. One aspect of culture I am particularly interested in is art. Art has an important place in my classes as it expresses the culture of a people and it opens many possibilities for interesting and interactive learning. It adds another dimension to the language acquisition process. From basic colours to developing stories through an artwork, I design activities that connect to the student’s needs and promote their interest in the Spanish language and Hispanic culture.
Teaching and supervision
Currently, I am teaching Spanish at the University of Sydney and in theCervantes Institute, from Beginners to Advance levels.
- I am in the process of writing a textbook to teach Spanish through Hispanic Art called "Por Amor al Arte" in which I reference artworks and artists such as Goya, Velázquez, Picasso, Gaudí, Frida Kahlo, Maruja Mallo and Fura dels Baus.
- I am also carrying out several projects on the use of art in the classroom. Last year, for the Cervantes Institute in Sydney, I created a training course for teachers: "Art as a part of the class of Spanish as a Foreign Language" where I explained how to use art into classes from level A1 to C2, by following the guidelines of the Common European Framework.
- In addition to this, I work with the Education Department of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art in Madrid, creating programs focused on teaching Spanish as a foreign language through art and developing a closer relationship between the cities of Sydney and Madrid.
- Member of the Spanish Teachers' Association of NSW.
- Speaker "Art as part of the class of Spanish as a Foreign Language" (2012). Cervantes Institute in Sydney, Australia.
- Speaker via video presentation "Educational Program for Learning Spanish as a Foreign Language with the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art". 2nd International Conference "Museums in Education. From Action to Reflection"(2012). Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Madrid, Spain.
- Gordillo de Paz, M. and Del Río Fernández, M. (2013): Course Reader Spanish 1. Sydney University.