Dr Myriam Del Rio Hernandez
PhD (Vienna University), PGCE (Universidad de Barcelona), Licenciada (Universidad de Zaragoza)
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 3876|
Having taught at various institutions and universities in Spain, Austria, Italy and the UK, I joined the Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies at Sydney University in 2010. My research interests are related to identity, embodiment, mirror and autobiography in a framework of gender studies and literature. I am in the process of preparing a book about identity representation for publication.
My research focuses on the process of de/construction of identity – mainly female identity – and how this is reflected in the contemporary narrative production of Spain. Themes such as autobiography, metafiction, memory, spatial perception, embodiment, modes of representation and writing are examined in relation to identity.
My field of interest extends beyond literature to Psychology, Anthropology, Art and other forms of cultural manifestation.
- Contemporary Spanish narrative
- Gender Studies
- Space (spatial perception and body, elements of formation of identity and of the cultural behaviour of the subject)
- Body (self-representation, subject and object)
- Mirror and modes of representation (the other as mirror, self-perception, self-awareness and re-memorisation)
Teaching and supervision
- Language courses from Beginners to Advanced
- Spanish culture (literature and cinema)
- Honours seminars
- Spanish contemporary female writers
- Mirror as cultural image in European culture (literature, art, film)
Further investigation of modes of representation in contemporary Spanish narrative. Working title: ‘Mirror as a Symbolic Construction of Identity through the Body’. This analysis looks particularly at a selection of work by Carmen Laforet, Ana Mar'a Matute, Carmen Martín Gaite, Javier Marías, Juan José Millás, Almudena Grandes, Rosa Montero, Josefina Aldecoa, Dulce Chacón etc.
- Erasmus (EuRopean Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students) programme Liaison Officer
- Examiner for the International Baccalaureate Organisation
- Course Designer and Teacher of Spanish and Latin American Literature, Instituto Cervantes
- Association for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language (ASELE)
- The Materials Development Association (MATSDA)
- Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland (AHGBI)