Dr Ryan Griffiths
BA, Berkeley, M.Phil, PhD, Columbia University
H04 - Merewether Building
The University of Sydney
Griffiths' research focuses on two connected related areas. The first examines the dynamics of secession with a particular emphasis on the international and domestic causes of secessionist conflict over time. He has recently begun a second book that looks at the relationship between democracy and secessionist outcomes, a project that is being funded by an ARC Discovery Early Career Research Award. The second research area investigates the organization of the international system, with a specific interest in sovereignty and different types of political order, historically and in the future. Griffiths is one of the lead investigators on the International System(s) Dataset (ISD) Project. Griffiths is currently a Visiting Fellow at Yale University with the Program on Order, Conflict, and Violence.
- International Relations Theory
- The Rise of China
- Research Method
Teaching and supervision
Griffiths, R (forthcoming), The Age of Secession: the International and Domestic Determinants of State Birth.
Griffiths, R & Butcher, C 2013, "International System(s) Dataset (ISD), 1816-2011". Codebook.
Griffiths, R 2013, "Proto-States, 1816-2005".
Griffiths, R 2013, "Secessionist Movements, 1816-2011".
In the media
- “España entre la espada y la pared,” El Diario, November 11, 2014 (with Pablo Guillén Álvarez and Ferran Martínez i Coma). Available here.
- “In Light of Scottish Referendum, What Future for Frustrated Secessionists?” Global Observatory, September 30, 2014 (with Tanisha Fazal). Available here.
- “Where Scotland led, others will follow,” The Drum (ABC), September 19, 2014. Available here.
- “Why is Statehood So Popular?” Global Observatory, June 27, 2014 (with Tanisha Fazal). Available here.
- Coggins, B, Fazal T & Griffiths, R 2012, "Atop the Sovereignty Bubble", Political Violence & a Glance. August 14, 2012. Available here.
- Waves of Democracy and Secessionist Conflict; Griffiths R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA).
- Mapping the Sovereign State System: 1648-2014; Griffiths R, Gunitskiy V, Butcher C; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Sovereign States: Indonesia and the Politics of Detention; Anderson S, Ferng J, Griffiths R; Sydney Southeast Asia Centre/Collaborative Grant.