Dr Yasuko Claremont
BA (Tamagawa University); MA, PhD (University of Sydney).
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 4500|
Dr Yasuko Claremont has been teaching Japanese language, modern Japanese literature, comparative literature and Australian studies since 1984. She specializes in modern poetry and the works of Oe Kenzaburo, the Nobel laureate for literature in 1994. Her wide range of scholarship includes translation, Japanese journals of the 1920s (Josei, Shinseinen and Nyonin geijutsu) and Nô drama.
Teaching and supervision
- JPNS2670 Love and Death in Japanese Novels
- JPNS2621 Japanese 5
- JPNS2622 Japanese 6
- JPNS3631 Japanese 9
- JPNS3632 Japanese 10
- ICLS2636: Great Books 2: Innovations, Inspirations
- ICLS2633: Cities in the World
- ICLS3630: Literature and Society
- ICLS3631: What Is Literature? Cross-cultural Views
- Modern Japanese literature, poetry and comparative literature
Funded by the Japan Foundation for 2011-2013, Dr Claremont has launched a critical study on the theme of reconciliation related to the Asia-Pacific War (1941-1945) with special attention to Australia and Japan. She has taken leadership in organizing two international conferences, The Asia-Pacific War: Return, Representation, Reconciliation in 2011 and forthcoming Looking back on The Asia-Pacific War: Arts, Cinema, Media in November 2012. Her article, ‘The Pacific War and its Aftermath: A Literary Perspective’ was published in JOSA by December 2012. She has been working on her book chapter, ‘Disaster in Japan: A Case Study’ for the book, Asia-Pacific Disaster Management: Comparative and Socio-legal Perspectives which will be published in early 2014.
- ACLA: American Comparative Literature Association
- AJLS: Association of Japanese Literary Studies
- ASAA: Asian Studies Association of Australia
- EAJS: European Association of Japanese Studies
- JSAA: Japanese Studies Association of Australia
- JCLA: Japan Comparative Literature Association
- OSA: The Oriental Studies of Australia
Awards and honours
- 2010 First Annual Jeremy Ingalls Poetry in Translation Award, Kore Press, USA.
- 2009 Special Award for promoting Japanese literature in Australia from the Inoue Yasushi Foundation, Tokyo
- 2008 Awarded a Japan Study grant from the National Library of Australia for research relating to Japan using the library resources.
- 2006 Writing Fellowship, Research Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences, The University of Sydney.
- 2003 Faculty of Arts Teaching Excellence Award
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getResearchSupervisor Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1001050', ). Error Fetching http headers