If you are a local school-leaver and your Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) is within five points of the cut-off, you may also be considered for a Flexible Entry place on the basis of additional criteria such as your HSC performance in subjects relevant to your UAC preferences.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences may offer Flexible Entry to Commonwealth Supported places in selected undergraduate degrees and/or combined degrees depending on the quality of the demand and the number of places available.
Where a secondary qualification other than the NSW HSC has been completed, the equivalence of those results to the NSW HSC results required under the General Eligibility Criteria and/or the Selection Criteria will be as judged by the Faculty.
For all programs except 511207 Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications), only the UAC application is required - no additional application or supporting material is required, or will be considered by the Faculty of Arts.
For 511207 Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications), two applications are required - one to UAC and another directly to the Faculty of Arts.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible to be considered for Flexible Entry a prospective student must:
- be a UAC applicant in the appropriate application round for a Commonwealth Supported place in one of the degrees in which Flexible Entry is offered;
- have completed secondary studies in the year prior to that in which they intend to commence their degree candidature;
- have an ATAR within 5.00 of the expected cut-off for Commonwealth Supported places in the degree/s that they intend to commence; and
- have achieved appropriate HSC bands required for the preferred degree:
A minimum band 5 in English Advanced is required for the degrees:
- 511200 Bachelor of Arts
- 511207 Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- 511208 Bachelor of Arts (Languages)
- 511213 Bachelor of Music Studies / Bachelor of Arts *
- 511216 Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Science
- 511227 Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- 511300 Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Social Work
A minimum band 4 in both English and Mathematics is required for the degree:
- 511235 Bachelor of Economics
* Additional selection criteria - audition requirements apply for the Bachelor of Music Studies.
From those who satisfy the General Eligibility Criteria:
- Flexible Entry offers may be made to those who achieve Band 5 - Band 6 in a 2 unit, or Band E3 - Band E4 in an Extension unit in an HSC Category A language, other than English or English as a Second Language.
- if the Flexible Entry quota has not been filled, the Faculty will consider those with Band 5 - Band 6 results in any 2 units, or Band E3 - Band E4 results in any Extension unit from the following:
Additional Selection Criteria
Entry to Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
For the degree 511207 / Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
From those who satisfy the General Eligibility Criteria, Flexible Entry offers will be made to those who display the best combination of aptitude for the course and relevant experience, as assessed from the separate Flexible Entry application required by the Faculty of Arts (available here or from the Faculty Office from September).
Selection criteria include:
- work experience
- media portfolio: production, creation, presentation
- personal statement
The Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) Flexible Entry Application Form is available to download here. Applications will be due in the first week of January.
Those successful in gaining a Flexible Entry place will receive a UAC Main Round CSP offer. No separate advice will be issued to those who are unsuccessful. If there are CSP places yet to be filled after the UAC Main Round, those unsuccessful in the Main Round will be considered again in the UAC early February and Final Rounds, when the same Eligibility and Selection Criteria will apply.