The Teaching and Learning portfolio is responsible for implementing the Faculty's vision of identifying and promulgating excellence in teaching to achieve improved outcomes in learning.
The Teaching and Learning portfolio is the responsibility of the Pro-Dean Teaching and Learning, Professor Carole Cusack. The Pro-Dean provides leadership within the Faculty with respect to all aspects of teaching and learning, including:
- strategic planning and policy formulation in relation to building the Faculty’s teaching and learning capability and performance;
- the monitoring of teaching and learning from practical training through to innovative scholarship and performance activity in alignment with Faculty’s strategic plans;
- implementation of policies and practices designed to improve teaching and learning performance within the Faculty.
Teaching and Learning Committee
The Faculty’s Teaching and Learning Committee assists the Pro-Dean in coordinating the Faculty's efforts to improve the quality of its teaching and student learning, and to communicate that work to Schools and Departments. The Committee monitors teaching performance, develops recommendations, policies and strategies, and implements actions to enhance teaching and learning.
The Committee is structured to encourage active consultation with each of the four schools, as well as with the student body and other key areas.
The setting of benchmark standards and other mechanisms to ensure quality of educational delivery is an increasingly important, though complex, aspect of academic life. The staff of the Teaching and Learning portfolio work closely with those units that have enterprise-wide responsibilities for quality assurance and service provision, in particular the Institute for Teaching and Learning, Sydney eLearning and the DVC (Education) portfolio.
To this end, Teaching and Learning staff participate in the following University-wide activities:
- Strategic Teaching and Learning Initiatives
- Professional Development for University Teachers
- University Teaching Scholars Networks
- Teaching Quality Assurance and Enhancement
See our Quality Assurance page for further details.