Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000)
This unit of study is designed to support international students, and is also highly recommended for local students who have not been in an academic environment for a prolonged period of time.
Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) is an elective unit with full credit available to all postgraduates across the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. It is a unit of study which can count for credit in all Masters, Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate programs.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences recognises that many of you have particular academic and cultural needs and may experience unexpected difficulties with language and cultural learning practices, or with adjusting to the scholarly requirements of Arts and Social Sciences disciplines. This unit is designed to help you make the adjustment to university study.
Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) will help you develop skills in the following areas:
- critical analysis
- referencing source material
- research skills
- writing for different disciplines
- advanced proficiency in written and spoken communication, including presenting seminars and public speaking
- other skills that will assist in achieving best results in students’ chosen areas of study
Because academic and cultural issues are closely related, Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) takes the backgrounds of students into consideration. For instance, there are cultural differences between:
- argumentation styles
- the use of convention and fact
- forms of summary, paraphrasing and quotation.
So overall, what else makes this Unit of Study special?
- a peer mentoring program, ‘Studymates’, helps foster language proficiency for the International students in the cohort.
- additional (non-compulsory) workshops in referencing and research skills are available.
- generous one-on-one consultation times are provided whenever possible.
- development of key attributes in research, and ethical, social and professional understanding, and communication relevant to academic studies and in preparation for your professional lives.
Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) will assist you in gaining the full benefit of seminars and lectures to support attainment of your degree. The unit will also enhance international students’ experience of living and studying in Australia.
Watch the Introduction Podcast
View a podcast of Dr Louise Katz introducing Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) to postgraduate students at a Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences academic advice session.
For more information on the program, contact:
T: (02) 9036 5099
For information about varying your enrolment to include Academic Communication for Postgraduates (ARTS7000) in your program of study, consult the online Student Administration Manual .