Dr Bronwen Dyson
Postgraduate Academic Writing Adviser, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
MA Linguistics/TESOL (Sydney), PhD (Western Sydney)
Room S352, John Woolley Building A20, University of Sydney NSW 2006
T: +61 2 9351 7514
F: +61 2 9351 2434
Consulation times: Please email for an appointment.
Bronwen is currently Postgraduate Academic Writing Advisor for the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. She has extensive experience teaching in universities, adult education and secondary schools. Most recently, she taught Second Language Acquisition at Macquarie University and English Linguistics, academic writing and English as a Second Language (ESL) pedagogy at the University of Western Sydney.
Bronwen’s research focuses on the learning and teaching of ESL. Her PhD is titled ‘Developmental style in second language processing: A study of inter-learner variation in the acquisition of English as a Second Language’. Her research adopts language processing and socio-cognitive frameworks to explore development and variation in ESL speech and writing, as well as the influence of teaching on development. Her current research investigates second language thesis writing and English Language pathways to university.
Teaching and research fellowships and grants
- 2010 Association of Academic Language and Learning (AALL) grant for a symposium on English Language pathways
- 2010 Small TIES grant (with Derek Herforth)
- 2009 Small TIES grant (with Ahmar Mahboob, Betsi Been, Megan Le Masurier, and Louise Katz)
- 2008 Grant for an Applied Linguistics Association of Australia/ Australian Linguistics Society colloquium (Schools of Languages and Cultures/Letters, Art and Media)
- 2006 Macquarie University, Research Enhancement Fund grant
- 1999 University of Western Sydney, PhD research scholarship
- 1997 University of Western Sydney, research grant
Research record (1995-2011)
- Dyson, B. (2011a). A Report on an evaluative study of an Engish Language pathway. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Sydney.
- Dyson, B. (2011b). ‘English language entry pathways: innovations, outcomes and future directions’. AALL Forum. Retrieved from http://www.aall.org.au/forum/english-language-entry-pathways-innovations-outcomes-and-future-directions-2
- Dyson, B. (2010a). Learner language analytic methods and pedagogical implications. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 33.3, 30.1-30.21.
- Dyson, B. (2010b). On Sociocognitive approaches to second language pedagogy, Introduction to the Special Issue on Second Language Acquisition and pedagogy. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 33.3, 25.1-25.9.
- Dyson, B. (2010b). Learner language analytic methods and pedagogical implications. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 33.3, 30.1-30.21.
- Dyson, B. (2010c). Review of J. F. Lee and A. G. Benati Second language processing and Delivering processing instruction in classrooms and virtual contexts. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 33.1, 10.1-10.4.
- Dyson, B. (2009a). Processability Theory and the role of morphology in ESL development A longitudinal study. Second Language Research 25, 3, 255-376.
- Dyson, B. (2009b). Understanding trajectories of academic literacy: how could this improve diagnostic assessment? Journal of Academic Language and Learning 3, 1, 52-69.
- Dyson, B. (2008a). What we learn from questions: ESL question development and its implications for language assessment. Prospect 23, 1, 16-27.
- Dyson, B. (2008b). SLA and pedagogy: bio-social approaches – A colloquium. ATESOL Newsletter 34, 3, 7.
- Dyson, B. (2002a). Focus on learnable form in a communicative context: a framework for second language acquisition in the classroom. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 25, 1, 53-71.
- Dyson, B. (2002b). Review of ‘Interfaces between second language acquisition and language testing research’. Prospect 17, 1, 102-106.
- Dyson, B. (1996). The Debate on Form-focused Instruction: A Teacher's Perspective. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 19, 2, 59-78.
- Dyson B. (1995). A teacher's Perspective on Form-focused Instruction. Australian Studies in Language Acquisition 3, 1-15.
- 2011 Postgraduate Peer Writing Network (with Ahmar Mahboob)
- 2011 A symposium on ‘English language entry pathways: innovations, outcomes and future directions’ (with Helen Drury)
- 2010 – 2011 A study of second language thesis writing (with Derek Herforth and Jane Park)
- 2010 A website on postgraduate academic writing