Special Precautions for Computers
- Do not leave a computer in an unlocked and unattended area.
- There have been several instances in which staff have left their offices for very short periods of time (eg, several minutes), and have returned to find their computer missing, Where appropriate, a laptop computer may be stored in a locked drawer or filing cabinet when not in use.
- Whenever not in transit, a computer should be cabled down with a security locking cable. Cables can be purchased for both personal computers and laptop computers, and enquiries can be made to Vlad Nesic in Audit and Risk Management (ext 14127) or Haigo Gadeyne in Purchasing (ext 14272).
- Avoid leaving a computer in a motor vehicle. If this is necessary, put the computer out of sight, preferably in the boot.
- The serial number of a computer should be recorded by the department, as well as being supplied to Asset Management. In the event of a theft, this information is passed on to the police to assist recovery.