A blogroll is a list of links to other blogs or websites. Generally it is placed down one side of the blog page. It is entirely up to the blog owner as to which links are listed in the blogroll.
No, you don't need one. Bear in mind though that one way to get more people reading your blog is to link to other blogs. These other blogs may then give you reciprocal links.
Don't expect that very large blogs will link to you just because you have linked to them. If your blog is in a niche or has a certain focus, try to link to other blogs that share that focus.
To create a blogroll on your Movable Type blog:
- Go to the main menu for your blog.
This page will have a 'Welcome' message or similar. In the middle column towards the bottom you will see a header: 'Plugin actions'. Click the link to 'Edit my blogroll' under this header.
- You will be shown the default view which is a view of all your blogroll links. As you have not started a blogroll this list will be empty.
- To add a link use the link in the left-hand menu labelled 'Add link' or the link on the top right labelled 'Create new link'.
- Complete the information required in the form.
If you do not want the link to be visible on your blog yet, select invisible.
Type the weblog name
Insert the weblog URL
If you want, add a description. This description will appear under the link to the blog on your blogroll. Bear in mind that long descriptions will make your blogroll very long.
- Before the new link will appear you must place it within a blog roll Category. See below.
You can organise your blogroll into categories. This is very handy if you have a particularly long blogroll or link to diverse blogs and websites.
To add a category:
1. Click on 'Link categories' in the left-hand menu.
2. Click 'Create new category' on the top right hand side.
3. Add a category title and if so desired, a description.
4. Click save.
You can then add blogroll links to the category or categories by viewing your blogroll and clicking on the TITLE of the blogroll item to edit it.