The Brain & Mind Research Institute (BMRI) is a centre within the University of Sydney. The BMRI was established in 2003 as a centre of research excellence, unique in its collaborative model of clinical, translational and basic science research within five juxtaposed buildings.
The only centre of its kind in the world, the BMRI brings together patients, support groups and front-line carers, including psychiatrists and neurologists, with a team of scientists and clinicians working in neurosciences and brain research. The neurologists, psychiatrists and basic neuroscientists are housed together in an environment that promotes synergy of effort and sharing of ideas.
Its legal status and financial dealings are, therefore, within the corporate entity of the University, administered through the Faculty of Medicine.
The BMRI is administered by:
- Executive Director: Professor Ian Hickie
- Associate Director (Research): Professor Richard Banati
- Associate Director (teaching & Learning): Associate Professor Sharon Naismith
- Chief Operating Officer: Michael Milne
who report to a Governing Committee consisting of:
- Chair: Professor Jill Trewhella, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Professor Bruce Robinson, Dean of Sydney Medical School
- Professor Kathryn Refshauge, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Trevor Hambley, Dean of the Faculty of Science
- Professor Jill White, Dean of the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery
- Professor Ian Hickie, Executive Director of the Brain & Mind Research Institute
- Michael Milne, Chief Operating Officer of the Brain & Mind Research Institute
The BMRI executive team is supported by a Management Committee, which is comprised of the BMRI Professoriate.
An Advisory Committee provides the BMRI with independent advice on opportunities for engaging with government, business and the community. The Advisory Committee also provides the BMRI with essential support in the community through advocacy of its mission and identifying and facilitating fundraising opportunities.
The Advisory Committee consists of:
- Chair: Mr Michael Crouch AO
- Mr Thomas Cropper
- Mr J Gillis Broinowski AM
- Mr John Brogden
- Mr Bruce Hawker
- Mr John Grant AM
- Mr Robert Alan Johnston AC
- Professor Max Bennett, Founding Director of the Brain & Mind Research Institute
Consistent with the original vision and the interdisciplinary nature of the study of brain and mind sciences, the current affiliations of the researchers, programs and financial accounts within the BMRI include the University of Sydney:
The BMRI has also established long-term partnerships with local and interstate universities (University of Melbourne, Australian National University, Monash University, University of Queensland), industry bodies and non-government organisations including the Mental Health Council of Australia, Inspire Foundation, and Headspace: the National Youth Mental Health Foundation.