The Brain and Mind Research Institute (BMRI) has a range of specialised light and laser microscopes for imaging cells and tissues:
- Zeiss LSM 710 Confocal Laser Scanning/Multi-photon Microscope
- Zeiss Axio Observer Live Cell Imaging Microscope
- Zeiss Axiovert 200M Stereology Microscope
The Zeiss LSM 710 is an upright light, fluorescence, confocal and multi-photon fixed stage microscope.
- In the fluorescence microscope setup, there are 5 filters sets (DAPI, Cy3, Endow GFP, HE mRFP) and a monochrome colour camera with 0.5x, 1.0x, 2.0x and 4.0x magnification to capture fluorescent images.
- In the confocal setup, there are six laser lines: 405, 458, 488, 514, 561 and 633 nm.
- For multi-photon imaging the LSM 710 is fitted with a Coherent Chameleon Titanium-Sapphire Femtosecond pulsed laser tunable from 690-1080 nm.
The internal detectors on the LSM 710 are a 34 channel Quasar Detector (32-Array PMTs and 2 flanking single PMT detectors). The 32 channel detector allows for spectral imaging, linear unmixing experiments.
For light sensitive multi-photon imaging and photon counting the LSM 710 is fitted with two external reflected and two external transmitted GaAsP NDD (Non Descanned Detectors). A transmitted light detector is fitted on the LSM for transmission light imaging.
Dodt optics is available on this microscope to enhance contrast for unstained specimens in particular for unstained brain sections.
High-speed Piezo-Z objective steppers can be fitted to the microscope for high speed z-stack imaging over time.
The Zeiss Axio Observer Live Cell Imaging Microscope is an upright light and fluorescence microscope equipped with a microscope and stage-top incubator, CO2 controller and auto z-focus for long term live cell imaging.
Fitted with a Sutter Lambda DG-4 unit with 6 filters sets (DAPI, FITC, GFP, TxRED, DsRED and Fura 2) it is able to do rapid wavelength switching in less than 1.2 msec and can be used to study fast radiometric changes ion concentration in cells.
This microscope has a standard filter wheel with 7 filters sets (DAPI, FITC, Cy5, DsRed, TxRed, Fura 2, triple dichroic Blue Green Red set). Phase contrast and PlasDIC optics are available to enhance contrast for unstained specimens. PlasDIC allows DIC microscopy to be performed on plastic dishes as well as glass i.e. cells in flask.
Coming soon in 2014.