Forefront Frontotemporal Dementia and Motor Neurone Disease
Professor Matthew Kiernan leads the ForeFront Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) and Motor Neurone Disease (MND) Program. The team’s work is focussed on clinical neurology, in particular disease pathophysiology and treatment strategies of neurological disorders.
The team are currently investigating the mechanisms, biomarkers and possible prevention of neurodegeneration in MND, FTD, chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity, stroke, Machado-Joseph disease, spinal muscular atrophy and other inherited neuropathies.
The team also conducts clinical trials investigating potential drug treatments for MND, multiple sclerosis and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.
As the Bushell Professor of Neurology, Professor Matthew Kiernan is dually located at the Brain and Mind Research Institute (BMRI) and the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Professor Kiernan provides academic leadership in neurology at the BMRI as well as across the University, and promotes partnerships between researchers and healthcare practitioners to optimise the translation of research into improved healthcare practice and policy.
Professor Matthew Kiernan and one of his patients recently featured in a video for the University's Pave the Way giving day.
- ForeFront Research Group
- Prof Glenda Halliday, Neuroscience Research Australia
- Prof Jillian Kril, University of Sydney
- Prof Jürgen Götz, University of Queensland
- Assoc Prof Lars Ittner, University of Sydney
- Prof John Hodges, Neuroscience Research Australia
- Assoc Prof Olivier Piguet, Neuroscience Research Australia
- Dr Michael Hornberger, University of Cambridge
- Prof Hugh Bostock, FRS, University College London, United Kingdom
- Dr Martin Turner, Oxford MND Centre, United Kingdom
- Prof Leonard Van Den Berg, University Medical Center Utrecht, Netherlands
- Prof Orla Hardiman, Trinity College University, Ireland
- Prof Satoshi Kuwabara, Chiba University Hopsital, Japan
- Dr Kazumoto Shibuya, Chiba University, Japan
- Dr Yu-ichi Noto, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Japan
- Prof Jong Bae, Hallym University Medical Center , Korea
- Assoc Prof Nortina Shahrizaila, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Dr Véronique Marchand-Pauvert, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- Assoc Prof Cindy Lin, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan
- Dr Jia-Ying Sung, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan
- Dr Eneida Mioshi, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Prof David Burke, University of Sydney
- Prof Jim Lagopoulos, University of Sydney
- Prof Ron Grunstein, University of Sydney
- Prof Paul Talman, Geelong Hospital
- Dr Michael Barnett, University of Sydney
- Prof Dominic Rowe, Macquarie University
- Assoc Prof Ian Blair, Macquarie University
- Dr Rob Henderson, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital