Head of unit
On this page:
The Smoking Cessation Unit evaluates and conducts clinical trials and reports on smoking cessation products under development. The Unit has Phd students engaged in studies related to smoking, smoking cessation and mental health.
We have also been investigating the detrimental medical effects of Fungi in home-grown or illicit "chop-chop" tobacco. This type of cheap tobacco is often used by individuals with reduced income and leads to considerable life-threatening diseases. We have a strong emphasis on teaching and on practical application of research.
Staff of the Smoking Cessation Unit conduct training programmes that vary from intensive courses over several days to half-day workshops. These certificate courses cover tobacco smoking behaviour, nicotine dependence, treatment, relapse prevention and role playing, all based on evidence-based medicine.
Training workshops for medical practitioners gain CME points.
- Workshops for Drug and Alcohol Counsellors
- Workshops for Psychiatrists and Mental Health Workers
- Workshops for Indigenous Groups
Our programmes in groups for the public are based on scientific evidence and practical experience, are realistic and flexible to meet individual requirements. The intensity of the timetable of the programme has been formulated by us, published in the scientific literature and has been taken up by others outside Australia as an ideal formula.
- Lectures on Smoking and the Medical Consequences
- Train-the-trainer courses for qualified staff
Three-day courses are run by the lecturers of The Woolcock Institute of Medical Research and trains suitably qualified company staff to conduct smoking cessation smoking programmes at their workplace.
- Smoking cessation manuals
Manuals can be devised and adapted to the workplace environment to suit trained counselors in aiding their staff or patients to quit smoking.
- Assistance with development and implementation of workplace smoke-free policies
- Assistance and guidance with developing smoke-free policies in the workplace. We have experience in supporting employees and management through the phases required to implement smoke-free environments.