Master of Philosophy in Business (MPhil)
|Credit Points Required|
The Master of Philosophy (Business) is a higher degree by research.
MPhil students may choose an area of specialisation for their MPhil from any of the Disciplines in the University of Sydney Business School.
A Masters thesis should demonstrate the same general qualities of PhD research, but in a more limited way. The normal length of a Masters thesis is 50,000 words. The degree will take at least 1.5 years of full-time study to complete. The thesis is sent to two examiners.
Admission to Research Degrees
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degree with at least a 75% average in the proposed field of study from a recognised University or its equivalent.
- Demonstration of research potential either by publication, previous work experience, related coursework or other eligible means.
- Other factors taken into consideration when assessing a research application are the quality of the research proposal, previous performance in a thesis program if applicable, and the availability of a supervisor within the Business School.
English Language Requirements
All International students must meet the following English language requirements:
- IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each band); OR
- TOEFL 600+ (TWE at 4.5+) or CBT 250+ (essay 4.5+) or IBT 100+ (writing band 23 and no band below 22); OR
- If a degree in English has been completed within the last 5 years there is no need to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score.
- All candidates are expected to regularly attend the Discipline Seminars.
- Maintain satisfactory progress in the Annual Progress Review.
- All candidates are required to ensure that they are correctly enrolled and that they check their university email regularly or forward to an account that is checked regularly.
Candidature for an MPhil is for a minimum of 1.5 years full-time or three years part-time, and a maximum of two years full-time or four years part-time.This will include a probationary period of six months.
How to Apply
For information on the structure of the degree program please go to sydney.edu.au/business/study/courses/research.