Master of Philosophy in Business (MPhil)
|Credit Points Required|
The Master of Philosophy is a higher degree by research.
MPhil students may choose an area of specialisation for their MPhil from any of the Disciplines in the University of Sydney Business School.
A Masters thesis should demonstrate the same general qualities as PhD research, but in a more limited way. The normal length of a Masters thesis is 50,000 words. The thesis is sent to two examiners.
Admission to Research Degrees
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degree with at least a 75% average in a masters level degree in the proposed field of study from a recognised University.
- Demonstration of research potential either by publication, previous work experience, or related coursework.
- Other factors taken into consideration when assessing a research application are the quality of the research proposal, and the availability of a supervisor within the Business School.
English Language Requirements
All International students must meet the following English language requirements:
- IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each band); OR
- TOEFL 600+ (TWE at 4.5+) or CBT 250+ (essay 4.5+) or IBT 100+ (writing band 23 and no band below 22); OR
- If a degree in English has been completed within the last 5 years there is no need to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score.
1. Induction Program
Successful completion of the Induction Program including the unit of study BUSS7901 Research Design. The Induction Program and the Research Design unit must be completed in the first semester of enrolment.
2. Thesis Proposal Defence
Successful completion of the Thesis Proposal Defence. Further information is available at¿¿ http://www.sydney.edu.au/currentstudents/research/forms
Successfully complete three coursework units including at least one quantitative and one qualitative unit. Undertake any additional coursework and attend any seminars as determined by the supervisor.
Candidates are required to maintain satisfactory progress as assessed at the Annual Progress Review.
All candidates are required to ensure they are correctly enrolled and that they regularly check their university email.
Candidature for an MPhil is for a minimum of 1.5 years full-time or three years part-time, and a maximum of two years full-time or four years part-time.This will include a probationary period of six months.
How to Apply
All applicants are required to complete an Expression of Interest prior to submitting a formal application. Information on the EOI pre-application process is available at http://sydney.edu.au/business/study/courses/research.
For information on the structure of the degree program please go to sydney.edu.au/business/study/courses/research.