Doctor of Philosophy in Business (PhD)
|Credit Points Required|
The Doctor of Philosophy in Business is a higher degree by research.
PhD students may choose an area of specialisation for their PhD from any of the Disciplines in the University of Sydney Business School.
The PhD degree is awarded to a thesis considered to be a substantial original contribution to knowledge in its field. The thesis of 80,000 words is sent to three examiners who are required to report that in their opinion:
- The thesis is a substantial and original contribution to the knowledge of the subject concerned
- The thesis displays evidence of high quality research
- The thesis displays evidence of independent critical ability
- The literary presentation of the thesis is satisfactory
Admission to Research Degrees
Students wishing to undertake a PhD in Business must be able to demonstrate that they have the necessary academic background in the field of study they wish to pursue.
To be eligible for admission to PhD candidature in the Business School, applicants are required to hold an undergraduate degree with First or Second class (Division One) Honours in the proposed field of study - or Masters degree with at least an 80% average and a 25% research thesis component from a recognised University or its equivalent. An Honours degree in Australia involves four years' study, including the preparation of a dissertation based on supervised research.
To be eligible for admission to MPhil candidature in the Business School, applicants are required to have the following:
- An undergraduate and postgraduate degree in the proposed field of study from a recognised University or its equivalent with at least a 75% distinction average.
- Demonstration of research potential either by publication, previous work experience, related coursework or other eligible means.
- Other factors taken into consideration when assessing a research application are the quality of the research proposal, previous performance in a thesis program if applicable, and the availability of a supervisor within the Business School.
English Language Requirements
All International students must meet the following English language requirements:
- IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each band); OR
- TOEFL 600+ (TWE at 4.5+) or CBT 250+ (essay 4.5+) or IBT100+ (writing band 23 and no band below 22); OR
- If a degree in English has been completed within the last 5 years there is no need to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score.
- All candidates are expected to regularly attend Discipline Seminars.
- Maintain satisfactory progress in the Annual Progress Review.
- All candidates are required to ensure they are correctly enrolled and that they check their University email regularly or forward to an account that is checked regularly.
Candidature for a PhD is for a minimum of 3 years full time or 6 years part time, and for a maximum of 4 years full time or 8 years part time. This will include a probationary period of 12 months.
How to Apply
For information on the structure of the degree program please refer to: sydney.edu.au/business/study/courses/research