Discontinuation due to illness or misadventure - DC
Discontinue - Not to count as Failure (DC)
Students who experience severe and ongoing illness or misadventure which prevents them from continuing their studies may apply to Staff and Student Services for discontinuation with a grade of DC. A grade of DC carries no academic penalty, but students remain liable for HECS or fees for the unit of study.
Students only need to apply for a grade of DC if they need to discontinue their studies after the relevant withdrawal and DC census dates have passed, normally after about week 5 or 6 of semester.
DC grades after census dates are only available to students who have experienced the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that could not have reasonably been foreseen, and which prevents the student from continuing their studies. DC grades are not available to students who have attempted and failed assessment tasks in the unit of study for which DC is sought. Students experiencing single or occasional instances of illness or misadventure that affect their studies are not eligible for DC, but may be eligible for 'Special Consideration' arrangements.
Discontinuation of studies with a grade of DC is not intended to allow students who have failed a unit of study to have this result removed from their academic record. Applications for DC after the release of results will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
- A student may apply for discontinuation of their studies in a unit or units of study with a grade of DC if they experience the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that prevents them from continuing their studies and could not have reasonably been foreseen, provided that they have not attempted and failed assessment tasks in that unit of study.
- Students must apply for DC within two (2) weeks of the conclusion of the teaching period for the semester for which DC is sought. Students must not wait until the release of results to apply for DC. The Staff and Student Services office may waive this requirement if a student can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Student Services Manager that it was impossible or unreasonable for the student to lodge their request within this timeframe.
- Students can apply for DC using the Application for a grade of DC - Discontinue not to count as failure form available on the Business School website or from the Staff and Student Services office, or by writing a letter to the Enrolments and Student Coordinator. Students must attach documentary evidence of illness or misadventure to their application. This evidence must demonstrate that it was impossible or unreasonable for the student to continue their studies. Incomplete applications willnot be accepted.
- The Enrolment and Students Coordinator in the Staff and Student Services office will advise of the outcome of an application within two weeks of receipt of a complete application.
- Under some circumstances, students who are granted a grade of DC may be eligible for a refund of fees or re-credit of a Fee-HELP balance. Local students should contact the HECS and Fees Office in the Student Centre about all fee, HECS-HELP and Fee-HELP issues. More information about this process is available on the Student Centre website
See also Special consideration.