Management Major (Undergraduate)
Management is the process of planning, organising, leading and controlling the efforts of organisational members and using resources inside and outside the organisation to achieve set objectives. A Management major draws on subjects from a number of disciplines in the Business School and the School of Economics (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences) and develops a sound understanding of managing the internal processes of organisations and the relationship between organisations and their environments.
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies).
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree from 2011. Students who commenced prior to 2011 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2011 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Management, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points) from the Business School.
(ii) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
(iii) a minimum of three senior elective units of study (18 credit points) selected from the following options:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- ECOF3001 Business Strategy *
- ECOS2306 Managerial Firms: Evolution and Attributes* +
- ECOS3003 Hierarchies, Incentives and Firm Structure +
- ECOS3005 Industrial Organisation +
- ECOS3008 Labour Economics +
- ECOS3012 Strategic Behaviour +
- WORK2205 Human Resources Processes
- WORK2209 Organisational Analysis and Behaviour
- WORK2211 Human Resource Strategies
- WORK2217 International Human Resource Management
- WORK2219 Management and Organisational Ethics
- WORK2221 Organisational Communication
- WORK2222 Leadership in Organisations
- WORK2224 Globalisation, Work and Employment*
- WORK2225 Work and Social Change
- WORK2227 Regulation at Work *
- WORK3921 Theories of Work and Organisations*
- WORK3922 Researching Work and Organisations
* Not offered for 2013. ECOF3001 will no longer be offered from 2012.
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Work and Organisational Studies to include this unit as an elective for their major. Only students enrolled in Business School degrees canc omplete this unit.
+ Please Note All ECON/ECOS units of study are offered by the School of Economics in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (they are non-Business School units). Students are restricted in the number of units that they can complete from outside of the Business School (depending on the year they commenced study). You should refer to the handbook of the year you commenced for the exact requirements regarding the completion of units from another faculty.For example, 2013 commencing students in the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws cannot complete any ECON/ECOS units of study as part of their degree.
Note: Senior units of study can be counted towards the requirements for one major only. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two major. For example, WORK2205 cannot be counted towards both a major in Management and a major in Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management.
The following information is for Pre-2011 continuing students only
Requirements for the Management major for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2011
Pre-2011 continuing students can choose to follow the requirements for a major as set out above or can follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year you commenced for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirements for a Management major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010
- Requirements for a Management major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2006
The Management major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2011 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Management: FH029 Bachelor of Economics, FH035 Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Management:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
Management electives or a major may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check their faculty's handbook for further details.