Management Major (Undergraduate)
A management major will give you the tools and concepts you need to understand how organisations work and the critical role of managers within them. This includes building knowledge in important areas such as developing and implementing strategy, driving organisational change and leading teams to achieve organisational objectives. Management is commonly understood as the process of planning, organising, leading and controlling the efforts of organisational members and deploying resources inside and outside the organisation to achieve set objectives. Our Management major draws on subjects from a number of disciplines in the Business School to give you a well-rounded understanding of management thought and management practice. Students can make an application to undertake work placement in management as a part of their studies.
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies).
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree from 2014. Students who commenced prior to 2014 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2014 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Management, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points) from the Business School.
(ii) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
- WORK2201 Foundations of Management
- WORK2210 Strategic Management
- WORK2218 Managing Organisational Behaviour
(iii) a minimum of three senior elective units of study (18 credit points) selected from the following options:
- IBUS2102 Cross-Cultural Management
- IBUS3107 Business Negotiations
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- WORK2209 Managing Organisational Change
- WORK2211 Human Resource Strategies
- WORK2217 International Human Resource Management
- WORK2219 Managing Organisational Sustainability
- WORK2221 Organisational Communication *
- WORK2222 Leadership in Organisations
- WORK2227 Regulation at Work
- WORK3921 Theories of Work and Organisations*
- WORK3922 Researching Work and Organisations
* Not offered for 2014. ECOF3001 will no longer be offered from 2012.
Note: Senior units of study can be counted towards the requirements for one major only. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two major. For example, WORK2205 cannot be counted towards both a major in Management and a major in Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management.
The following information is for Pre-2014 continuing students only
Requirements for the Management major for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2011
Pre-2014 continuing students can choose to follow the requirements for a major as set out above or can follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year you commenced for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirments for a Management major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2011, 2012 or 2103
- Requirements for a Management major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010
- Requirements for a Management major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2006
The Management major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2011 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Management: FH029 Bachelor of Economics, FH035 Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Management:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
Management electives or a major may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check their faculty's handbook for further details.