Top recommended resources
- Start Making by General Assembly: A FREE online program taught by serial entrepreneurs such as Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian. It's a set of 6 classes to teach you the fundamentals of starting a new business. We highly recommend this for all selected teams before you attend the workshops but you can even use it as a guide for putting together your idea for the 1 page proposal.
- The Lean Startup: Eric Ries' book is highly regarded in the valley and has been referred to time and time again by industry leaders as mandatory reading for all entrepreneurs.
- The Lean Canvas: FREE online tool to build your 1 page business model. It has been used across the world by successful start-ups to hash out the key elements of their businesses. We would highly recommend this to all selected Sydney Genesis 2012 teams but it will also be helpful in putting together your 1 page proposal.
The first three blogs each reports on about 4-5 new businesses from around the world. Subscribe to their RSS feeds and use these to kick start your imagination!
- Cool Business Ideas
- New Startups
- TechCrunch: Blog about technology start-ups
- TED: 18 minute talks of ideas worth spreading.
- Surveys: Survey Monkey: Free survey maker.
- Emails: Mailchimp: Free email marketing.
- Presentation: Prezi: Free, funky presentation software
- File sharing: Dropbox: Free cloud based file sharing
- Video Conferencing: Google Hangouts: Free online video conferencing, also allows teams to work on documents simultaneously, share screens and watch Youtube videos together.
- E-commerce: Shopify: free, online store builder.
- Outsourcing services:
Key players in the Australian startup ecosystem: (in no particular order)
- Check out this great infograph of the Australian startup ecosystem
Incubators and coworking space
- Pollenizer: Calls itself a 'co-founder' of leading tech start-ups, helping the likes of Spreets, which was sold last year to Yahoo!7 for $40 million.
- Pushstart: Runs a mentor matching service all year round and a startup accelerator that offers seed funding.
- Blue Chilli: Invests and builds online start-ups.
- Fishburners: Coworking space in Sydney in 2 locations with over 35 current residents.
- Vibewire: Another coworking space and also runs networking events such as fastBREAK and Young Entrepreneurs Sydney.
Angels and Investors
- Startmate: offers mentorship and seed financing to founders of internet and software businesses based in Australia.
- Sydney Angels: Connects entrepreneurs with investors.
Networking events and workshops
- Silicon Beach: Informal drinks at the Grace Hotel every Friday for anyone interested in entrepreneurship.
- Sydney Young Entrepreneur: Weekly casual meetup at Vibewire every Wednesday at 6:30pm for any young entrepreneurs.
- Think. Act. Change: Monthly meetup for social entrepreneurs featuring interesting guest speakers.
- Startup Weekend: A 54 hours event that brings people together over a weekend to build a new business.
- Sydstart: Where startup business meet talent, investors and partners.
Know a great resource that should be here? Email Julia Di Kang at firstname.lastname@example.org.