Business schools have traditionally provided programmes centred on core functional skills such as accounting, marketing, finance or organisational studies. These days it is expected that more than core functional skills are developed. With firms increasingly challenged by global demands, regional competitors and local constraints, they are stretched to mature their existing businesses and at the same time grow their presence in new markets, develop new offerings, or refine their business models.
Firms recognise that creating new businesses, growing young businesses, and turning around mature businesses requires people and teams with rich analytical, entrepreneurial and leadership abilities. Business leaders are expected to be skilled in the science, art and crafts of management.
To meet these complex demands, the Innovation & Enterprise Programme at The University of Sydney Business School focuses on strategy, creativity and entrepreneurship as the key domains to develop appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities. As well as assembling a top team of academics and practitioners to lead the programme, we have considered what and how we teach: Units of study are structured around experiential and problem-based learning with close engagement with business and entrepreneurial ventures.
Over the past 6 years we have worked with scores of entrepreneurs and businesses with students writing business plans, information memoranda and consulting reports for a variety of undertakings in the profit and not-for-profit sectors.
So, whether you would like to focus on a particular business stage (for example, start-up, growth, turnarounds) or a particular context (for example, technology, creative industries or social enterprise), our programme can be structured to excite your interest and challenge you.
You can be involved in the Innovation and Enterprise Program through the following courses:
- Graduate Certificate in Innovation & Enterprise
- Master of Commerce with a specialisation in Strategy & Innovation
There are also individual units of study available through:
- Master of Management, through MMGT 6001 Strategy and Entrepreneurship
- Global Executive MBA: EMBA 6004 Creating and Developing New Opportunities, a two week project in India
- Bachelor of Commerce, undergraduate capstone elective: IBUS 3103 Global Entrepreneurship & Enterprise
There are multiple units of study offered in the Innovation & Enterprise Program. To see the individual units, see the following.
- IBUS3103 - Global Entrepreneurship & Enterprise (undergraduate)
- IBUS5001 - Strategy, Innovation and Global Business
- IBUS6011 - New Business Opportunities and Startups
- IBUS6012 - Business Growth and Innovation
- IBUS6013 - Business Restructuring and Renewal
- IBUS6014 - Intellectual Property Management
- IBUS6015 - Strategy and Innovation Special Project
- IBUS6016 - Social Entrepreneurship
- IBUS6017 - Enterprise and the Creative Industries
- IBUS6018 - Business Negotiations
- EMBA6004 - Creating & Developing New Opportunities (India)
- MMGT6001 - Strategy & Entrepreneurship
- BUSS 6509 - Business Project
Innovation and Enterprise units of study can be completed through the RARE (Remote and Rural Enterprise) Program. Selected RARE students can enrol in either BUSS 6509 Business Project , or IBUS 6015 Innovation and Enterprise Special Project as an intensive six week project or during semester.